II. The Worst Birthday

"Evelyn."

The girl groaned, frowning as she stirred, but she didn't wake up. Jasper sighed, an amused grin on his face as he stared down at his love, who was sleeping peacefully on his chest. He knew she was exhausted; she always was after games. She had barely collapsed next to him onto her bed after her shower before she was gone, swept away into the deepest corners of her mind.

Sometimes, on days like today, he wished he could sleep, too. After centuries of this endless existence, he had forgotten what it was like to succumb to its blissful ignorance, to escape the world for a while. He often wondered what she dreamed about as he listened to her breaths come slow and even, her eyelids fluttering every so often. Occasionally, he would see her lips turn upwards into a delicate smile, and suddenly the unique rush of warmth and emotion that she always felt when they were together would wash over him like water and he knew that she had dreamt of him. It was an odd sensation at first, but now he couldn't help but find it endearing. It was intoxicating to feel and understand the love that she had for him, and if he could sleep, he was sure he would dream of her, too.

It was these simple moments that made him long for his humanity. Jasper knew he would give anything to drift off next to her, forget their worries and just be.

Now, as he gazed down at the mess of brown curls and her peaceful, relaxed face, a part of him was tempted to let her sleep. It seemed that time was frozen in her tiny bedroom at the top of the stairs, and he didn't want to do anything to disturb the quiet serenity. If it were his choice, they would stay there for eternity, but he knew that Evelyn wanted to be at Bella's party with his family. He also knew that Alice would have his head if she found out that he was the reason they didn't come.

Jasper shifted, brushing the hair from Evelyn's face and tracing his fingers gently across her cheek. "Darlin', it's almost time for us to go."

The softness of his usually deep voice and his cold fingers on the sensitive skin of her face pulled Evelyn from her repose. Slowly, her eyes fluttered open to see the sun's golden light peeking out from behind the blanket of clouds in the Forks sky as it began its descent. She grinned sleepily up at Jasper as she watched him play lazily with a strand of her hair.

"What time is it?" She asked as she started to trace absentminded circles on his chest with her fingers.

"Almost six. Alice wanted us to be there at seven to help set up."

Evelyn sighed, propping herself up on her elbow. "She's probably had the whole thing set up since last night."

"Not everything, apparently," Jasper grinned. "She likes to make sure we're all enjoying the party planning festivities." He leaned down, brushing his lips against her forehead, and he carefully moved out from under her as he stood. "I'll wait for you downstairs."

Evelyn bit her lip, a grin tugging at her lips as she watched him walk out of her room and shut the door carefully behind him. Even now, months after they had met she still felt butterflies when he spoke or moved. Sighing happily, she rolled out of bed and shuffled to her closet to find something suitable to switch out her t-shirt and sweatpants with.

She settled on an off the shoulder emerald green dress with three quarters sleeves that flared out at her waist, the hemline hitting just above her knees. She swept her messy hair into a side braid, carefully laying it over her right shoulder to cover the scar that James' bite had left on her skin; she knew Jasper hated seeing it so she always did her best to make sure it was concealed. She pulled on a pair of tights and the only pair of heels she owned before moving to the bathroom to quickly do her makeup.

Once she was finished she grabbed her purse and a jacket and carefully made her way down the stairs, wobbling slightly from being unused to her shoes. She found Jasper waiting patiently by the front door, and she felt her cheeks flush pink when she noticed the way his ocher eyes softened as they fell on her.