VII. Golden Eyes

"Are you guys going to help, or what?" Evelyn whined loudly as she struggled with the plates of food in her hands. Her sharp gaze was directed at Jacob, Quil, and Embry, who were currently lounging in the lawn chairs set up in the Clearwaters' backyard instead of assisting in setting up for the cookout party.

Sue had invited Evelyn and Marie to come along, as well as Charlie and Bella, so her aunt had insisted they show up early to help get the food ready and set up. Sue had told Evelyn and the boys to bring the food out to the picnic table in the yard, but so far Evelyn was the only one actually doing any work. And yet somehow, she couldn't find it in herself to be surprised.

Embry grinned lazily up at the girl as she passed him. "Nah, it looks like you got it covered, Ev."

Evelyn scowled at him, adjusting the weight of the plates in her hands. "Asshole," she mumbled not-so-quietly under her breath, making the three boys erupt in laughter. With a huff, she turned and began to head in the direction of the tables that Sue had set up to deliver the food.

"Okay, okay, I'll help. Wait up, Ev!" Jacob called from behind her, and she slowed only slightly as he ran up beside her with expectant hands. She raised her eyebrows at him as she handed him the veggie tray in her hand without slowing her pace. "Geez, how many carrots did Marie load on this thing? It's actually kinda heavy."

"I think you forget how much food it takes to feed all of you," Evelyn quipped back, nodding back towards the other boys, who were now joined by Seth, with a smile. "It's kind of scary how much you guys can throw down."

Jacob flexed his free arm dramatically, an easy grin on his lips. "Hey! These biceps didn't come from nowhere, you know. A man's gotta eat."

They had reached the table then, where both Marie and Sue had heard the last part of Jacob's words. They shared a quick look before both of them burst into giggles. Evelyn snorted as they set down the plates in the spots that Sue had cleared for them on the tabletop. Man... right.

"Aw, that's cute," Marie cooed, reaching up to ruffle Jacob's hair as she walked by. "Keep telling yourself that, Jakey."

"Hey!" Jacob exclaimed, his hand flying to his hair as he hurried to fix it again after Marie had messed it up. Marie waved him off as she walked away, and Jacob was just about to say something else when Sue interrupted him from behind them.

"I hope you both know how to use a vegetable peeler because I have a whole basket of apples that need peeling for the pie tonight and no time to do it." She smiled sweetly, holding up a pair of the utensils and shoving one into both of the teenagers' hands.

Jacob scowled at the device in his hands. "Sue, I really don't think--"

But the woman was already walking away back towards the house. "Thank you!" She called out to them without turning around. Jacob looked down at the peeler in his hands and then at the large basket of apples on the table, a loud sigh escaping his lips. Evelyn shook her head, already knowing where his mind was going.

"Oh no," Evelyn began, lightly shoving him towards the table. "You already said you were going to help me and you're not allowed to back out now."

Jacob rolled his eyes as the pair sat down, but his easy-going grin lit up his face. "Wow, I'm not allowed? You're spending too much time with Leah, you're almost as bossy as her now."

Evelyn elbowed him in the ribs, earning an annoyed grunt from the large boy next to her. "No need to talk badly about Leah. We're actually kinda friends now, you know." She frowned suddenly, looking around at the various people milling about the property. "Speaking of Leah, where is she? I haven't seen her since I got here."