The Summer of Love.

Life was busy for the Anderson family. Connor and Brooke concentrated a lot of their time on Annabelle and work, they all settled in just fine into their new home. Hank stayed a few times during the week, it seemed his retirement had hit a stage of being somewhat lonely. But the family openly accepted his warm company.

Annabelle had matured since becoming part of the family, the paperwork was all done and she was officially Brooke and Connor's daughter, though the media had a field day about it. 'The Deviant Hunter Becomes A Father.' Brooke remembers reading a news article about the somewhat deep information about her relationship with Connor and some details about the android child that they had adopted.

Brooke was never upset about the article, she found it quite nice to see the writer describing Connor as a person and not just a robot. Many found the article warming towards androids and it made life easier for them all. More freedoms were won and nearly everything was in place for them, the full freedoms and free speech as any human.

Connor had been noticeably distracted over the last few weeks, Brooke caught on very quickly when he would leave for hours on end without any explanation on his disappearance. He just said it was 'work' issues and he'd quickly drop the conversation.

Connor had finally returned from another of his late-night adventures, he tried climbing into bed quietly. But Brooke stares at him, her hooded eyes judging him. "Where have you been this time?" she asks, mostly annoyed at him missing their usual evening routine.

"I got called into work," he replies. Patting the duvet around his legs and stomach. Brooke rolled her eyes and turned over, turning the lamp off with a heavy sigh.

"I called work, Gavin said he hadn't seen you all day. Let me know when you have finished lying to me," she grumbles before closing her eyes. Connor sat, mouth agape. He didn't think about maybe letting Gavin of all people know to cover for him.

He was keeping the secrecy for them both, but he was now becoming paranoid that Brooke may think he is cheating, hiding or just not wanting to be around the family. He decided in the morning he had to tell her before an argument breaks out about all of it.

---

"Morning dad," Annabelle calls as she kisses Connor on the cheek and sits down next to him. Connor smiles at her, she had changed slightly since coming to them. Her demeanour was more mature than that once scared little girl.

"Good morning, darling. I have something I must ask of you." Annabelle stops with her glass of milk to her lips, looking up at him. She instantly wondered if she'd done something wrong.

"Is this about the chocolate I took from the fridge? I'm sorry, Hank-hank said I could have it," she says with tears in her eyes. Connor chuckled at her, shaking his head.

"No, but, I now know why your mum thought she was going crazy about her chocolate going missing." Annabelle giggles at him. "I wanted to know if you'd be happy to stay with Hank for a week? I have a surprise for your mother and we need to leave Detroit for it to happen."

Annabelle sat back in her chair, a spoon of cereal to her lips. She nodded as she chewed, thoughts of abandonment came back, but she then remembered. She'd be Hank the whole time, not alone in that dark and cold house. "I'm happy with that, dad. I will miss you and mummy."

Connor holds his arms out to her, inviting her to sit on his lap. "You will not be alone without us for long, my darling. I promise. We will be gone for just a week, it's more like a holiday for myself and your mum." Annabelle wraps her arms around his neck, pulling him close for a tight hug.

"Good morning, darling," Brooke announces as she walks in, fixing back the last strands of her hair into a ponytail. She looks at Connor before turning towards the fridge. "Morning, Connor," she bluntly says.