1. Last goodbye

Alyssa

"Can I open my eyes yet?" I whine as Anthony leads me through our neighbourhood. At least I think we're in our neighbourhood. The smooth, plain asphalt under my feet gives no indication as to where the hell I even am.

At the very least, I know it's getting late. The sounds of lawn mowers are long gone, replaced by the gentle buzz of crickets chirping. The glowing warmth against my skin from the sun is fading and cool air is beginning to settle around us. It serves as a somber reminder that summer is quickly slipping away, as each night gets colder and colder.

The innocuous invitation to get ice cream after dinner turned out to be not so innocuous after all. Something was clearly up when Anthony panicked and practically held me hostage at the café after I suggested going back home. Subtlety has never been his forte; Anthony is the probably the worst person I know at keeping secrets if I'm being honest. We've lost track of the number of surprise parties he's accidentally ruined.

"Quit whining Liss," he chuckles. "We're almost home."

I hear the faint voices of my family grow louder as I approach what I assume is our house. Anthony rests both of his hands on my shoulders and carefully guides me up the path to the front of the house, weaving around the shrubs and fountains.

"Kids? We're in the garage!" I hear mom call.

I quickly tug myself out of Anthony's grip and easily run the rest of the way there without even having to look. Up the three steps around the side of the house, ducking to avoid the hanging planters that dad hung too low, then a shortcut through the gazebo - being careful not to fall in the pool. I've lived here for eighteen years, I can navigate the place with my eyes shut - literally.

Sneaking out in the middle of the night in pitch darkness countless times throughout the years has helped with practice too, but don't tell mom that.

The murmurs quiet down as I arrive. "Honey? Where's your brother?" I hear dad ask when I stop somewhere in front of the garage. I hear enough shuffling around that I know the rest of the family must be out here too.

"He's coming," I say with a shrug. "Now can someone please tell me what's going on?" I cross my arms and impatiently tap my foot against the stone driveway. I've never liked surprises, I prefer being in control of whatever is going on.

"S-sorry!" I hear Anthony catching his breath as his footsteps approach from behind me. "She slipped away from me."

Mom just laughs. "Alright Alyssa, you can open your eyes now."

Thank god. I open my eyes and squint for a moment, letting my eyes adjust to the bright lights streaming out of the garage onto the driveway. I can make out mom, dad, Anthony, Alan, and Alex's faces, excitedly grinning at me and waiting for my reaction.

"Oh my god, I love it!" I squeal when my eyes finally focus on the gift parked in the driveway. It's a gold and matte black sports bike, complete with a big red bow tied on top.

"We know how devastated you were when your old motorcycle was stolen. Your mom and I have just been waiting for the right time to get you a new one." Dad smiles and puts his arm around mom. "Think of it as a late graduation present."

"Thank you!" I gush and pull both of them into a tight hug. My heart feels so warm and full. I don't know what I did to deserve such amazing parents. Mom gives me a gentle kiss on the cheek and I feel the imprint of a little smile against my forehead from dad. I'm going to miss their hugs so much when I leave for university next week.

After I let go, I turn around and take a slow, cautious step towards the bike - feeling as if just breathing on it will ruin it. I slowly run my hand along the cool and smooth jet black steel frame. The chrome gold accents almost glow as they reflect the lights built into the driveway. I rest my palm on the seat, feeling the slightly textured leather. I've missed the feeling of riding. Driving away from my worries and feeling nothing but the wind against me. Feeling the vibrations from the engine rumbling deep in my chest. The freedom of getting lost in my own thoughts as I traverse aimlessly through the city.