Chapter 1

Caitlin's POV

"Wake up sweetie." I hear a voice that sounds so far yet so close. "You're going to miss the first day of tryouts."

I flicker my eyes open and shoot out of bed. "Shit."

"Language." Momma J scolds me. "You have time. Just take your time, but not too much time."

I run around my room shedding my clothes and throwing my practice gear on. I pull my socks on and slip my sandals on. I pick my bag up from the ground and rush down the stairs.

"Don't you think you should eat something?" Momma P was at the door looking at me like a concerned mother does.

I shake my head. "Not enough time. If you aren't early, you are considered late. I'll see you both later."

I throw my things in the car and realize I'm missing something. I look towards the door where Momma P throws me the keys. "Good luck!"

"Thanks." I jump in the driver's seat and take off.

I get to the field in enough time. I would say half the people who are trying out are here. I set my bag down. I pull off my socks so I can put my shin guards on. Once they were on, I put my socks and cleats on.

"Cat! I haven't seen you since you left for camp." I look over my left shoulder and see McKenna. "How was it? Did you meet anyone worth remembering?"

***Flashback ***

There was a loud horn echoing in the cabins throughout the camp. Everyone was jumping out of bed. If you were on the bottom bunk you had to make sure the person from the top bunk wasn't going to land on you.

"It's time to go for a run, ladies." A loud voice replaced the horn.

I quickly change and get my socks and shoes on. Everyone was piling out of the cabins. We had five minutes to stretch on our own before the run began. I was bending over as I was touching my toes when I looked to my right at a girl who was sitting down pulling on her toes looking all over smiling.

Those eyes. "Peyton?"

"Should I be offended that you seem so unsure?" She pushes herself off the ground and walks over to me.

I lift my left leg back as I take a hold of my foot. "I didn't get the best sight of you in the dark." She is a hundred times more beautiful than I imagined.

"What made you take a chance and ask if it was me or were you asking everyone if they were Peyton?" She smirks, causing me to smile with her.

I drop my left foot and grab a hold of my right. "You have distinct eyes. Even in the dark they stuck out."

"Distinct in a good way or that they are that ugly?"

I drop my foot as I finish stretching. "Good. You have very beautiful eyes."

Her cheeks blush a light pink as she bites down on her lip. "Well thanks. You have beautiful eyes as well."

"Let's go!" A girl from the front yells as everyone starts running.

I fall into pace with everyone around us. You can hear a lot of girls sighing because we have to run but not me. Running is the one thing I'm good at.

"So." I look over at Peyton who is talking to me as we are jogging. "Do you hate people asking you questions when it comes to your parents?"

"Kind of but go ahead and ask. If you ask me, it won't annoy me like others."

"Interesting." She comments before asking the question. "Did you get adopted or did one of your moms have you?"