Chapter 16

Caitlin POV

Sunday went by with no word from Peyton. It's now Monday and I just got to school. We have practice after school for our game tomorrow, but first I have to concentrate on getting through this school day.

I walk through the school doors and straight to my locker. As I get closer, I notice someone by it. "Why are you here so early?"

"I'm always early." Tyler smirks and we both know that is a lie. "Is it a crime that I wanted to come early to see you?"

I start putting my things in my locker. "No, but why? You see me all the time throughout the school day so why come here early?"

"So this would be special." I shut my locker and look at him confused. "Will you go on a date with me Thursday night?"

Did he really ask me out? "On a school night?"

"I know that's weird but I have my last game Friday night and then you girls play Saturday." He did his research. "So what do you say?"

Exactly, what do I say? "Okay, but it's only one date. It doesn't mean anything else."

"Yet." He grins. "But I understand. One step at a time is good for me."

That is good to hear. "I'll see you around. I have to run to the locker room."

"Okay. Have a great day, beautiful."

Aw, did he just call me beautiful? He is so different when is around Logan.

I walk down the hall smiling like an idiot, but I don't care. He made me feel good.

I round the corner and go into the locker room. My smile fades as I spot Peyton. I act as if I don't see her even though her locker cubby is right by mine. After I get my stuff in there I turn to walk out. Unfortunately it wasn't that easy to escape. There was a tug on my arm and I know it's Peyton since we are the only ones in the room.

"Caitlin." She says softly. "Are you not going to say hi?"

"How about a rain check?" I spit out.

Peyton lets out a sigh. "You are mad at me."

Ding. Ding. Ding.

"Why would I be mad at you?" I voice angrily. "It's not like I had something important to tell you. Let's not forget how you threatened not to play if I didn't tell you. You were so interested until your girlfriend showed up and you ran off with her."

Peyton closes her eyes for a brief second. "Halie and I are not dating!" I saw her for the first time in a couple of months. I talked to her for the first time in almost three fucking years."

Peyton cursed. She is upset. I'm the one who has the right to be upset, not her. "Whatever you say Peyton."

I try to walk out but Peyton shouts which stops me. "Stop! Please just stop."

I look back at her. "Why? What do you want, Peyton?"

"I want to know what news you had." She spoke softly again. "Please?"

I take a deep breath. "It's not like it matters anymore."

"Caitlin, I don't want us to be in a fight."

Neither do I. "Peyton, I don't know what to do okay?"

"What do you mean?"

I look right at her blue eyes. "I've let you know how I feel about you and you've made it clear you don't feel the same. You keep going on dates with Andi and now Halie is in your life again."

She reaches for me but I take a step back. "Caitlin, you don't know what you want. You say you like me but only if no one knows."

"You are wrong." I shoot back. "I told someone. It's you who doesn't know what you want. You can't admit it so you put the blame on me but that's fine. I'll take the blame and the pain, but I won't let you hurt me over and over. That is the pain I can't bear."