Missing You is my Favorite Thing to do

"He showed up at the door again." I rubbed at my eyes and turned to face the man who spoke. Sam had coffee clutched in his hands like it was the last drink on earth. His eyes were narrowed with sleep, much like my own, and he yawned after his sentence. Making me oblivious to the tone behind it.

"Don't answer the door. Problem solved!" I walked up behind him and grabbed another cup nearby. I flicked some of my hair out of the way as I reached past him for the coffee pot. Sam stuck his hand out and gripped my wrist. I flinched and threw my eyes over at him.

He didn't look tired anymore.

"It sounded serious this time Duck. You can't keep running away from them for forever." I opened my mouth to retaliate but he kept talking. "And for what? Las Nevadas? Charlie?"

Sam wasn't joking anymore. We rarely had talks like this, or rarely even talked at all. He was always busy doing his thing while I was content doing mine. Every once and a while Sapnap would show up at the door looking for me. Of course, I was never home but sometimes...Sam was.

He only ever had this tone with me when Sapnap came over. I don't know why he is even trying after all this time. Now he wants to speak with me? To make things up after they left me?

"He doesn't want to talk to me, son. He wants to talk to you." Sam released my wrist and grabbed something out of his pocket. A letter sealed with red wax was thrown my direction. I caught it against my chest. After a second, I examined it without opening the paper. On the front was my name in handwriting I knew all too well. "I remember when they were all you talked about. How nervous you were to ask Bad about..."

"Sam." I clutched the letter as unwanted memories floated through my head. I shook them away. "Stop talking." He lifted an eyebrow at me and took a sip from his coffee. Sam sauntered away from the kitchen heading up the stairs, most likely to take a short nap or study his own notes on the prison for the thousandth time. I was surprised he dropped the subject so easily.

The letter in my hand felt like it weighed a million pounds. I set my cup back down on the table and turned away. I naturally gravitated towards the front door gripping the handle and shoving the letter into my pocket, not worrying about any creases it might make. I stomped outside and yanked down my beanie over my forehead.

I went to the only place I knew would be an escape from the harsh grip on my heart.

The only place I could escape the people who left me in the dust.

Las Nevadas is my home. A place filled with hopes and dreams, lights and scenery. I worked tirelessly on this place and it was finally starting to take shape. Much better than any other kingdom that might appear.

I smiled as anyone could see it from a mile away. I approached with proud eyes, almost forgetting about the reason I came.

"Big Q!" I heard a jumpy enthusiastic voice from across the path. Charlie was stood up next to the sign, seemingly painting it a bit for my return. He jumped down with ease and ran up to me, grasping my arms and squeezing tightly. At this point it was normal. When he first hugged me, I shrugged him off and tried show him that I didn't like it but Charlie didn't learn all that well.

Charlie was strange like that...he liked to grasp objects but always told me that he couldn't feel them in 'this form'. I decided my time wasn't worth spending on questioning him.

"Hi Charlie. How's Las Nevadas coming along?"

"I finished all the things you asked me to do!" I would have to check those later. Last time Charlie left green shit all over the slot machine. "What brings you by so early? Another fight with Sam I presume?"