011

Rel walked through the crowd, their hood up. The people were very friendly but Rel didn't want to be noticed by the wrong person.
They ducked into a side street, removing their hood. This place should be safe. They glanced around at their surroundings.
   There were three small houses nestled in this street, before the small cliff cut up from the ground, blocking any further building. Two of the buildings looked warm and homely, the other seemed cold and abandoned. The door of one of the warmer houses, suddenly opened. A small boy with buzzed black hair walked out. He seemed to be about 9. He walked down the steps and out onto the street. He was wearing a red tunic and black pants, that were fastened with a piece of rope. He wore a devilish smirk on his face and he carried a small wooden sword on his back.
   Rel watched him while leaning against a building. He grabbed a sack of seeds and propped it up against a wall, before wiping out his sword and slicing at it. He poked it and jabbed it, doing strange spinning moves and whatnot, it seemed like fun.
   Rel walked up behind him, pulling their daggers out from their sheaths at their side. They tapped his shoulder, causing his to whirl around.
   "Hello" Rel said smiling, they flipped one of their daggers in their hand.
   "Who are you?" The boy said, shifting his position defensive towards Rel.
   "Your next fight" Rel said before standing, one arm behind their back and the other out in front of them.
   "But i've never fought a person before..." The boy said sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.
   "Well i'll go easy" Rel smiled kindly beckoning towards themselves. The boy hesitantly swung his sword at them. They easily blocked his swing and flipped the sword out of his hand. Rel bent down, grabbing the sword and handing it back.
   "You need to keep your hands on the grip like this." Rel demonstrated before giving the sword back to him and adjusting his hands.
   "Oh" He said, looking at his hands and memorizing their position. He went back into a fight pose as Rel did the same.
   "3...2...1..." Rel swung their dagger at him. He quickly blocked, ducking under their arm and poking their back with his sword.
   This went on for a while, Rel and the dark haired boy sparring and Rel occasionally giving the boy a few sword fighting tips.
   "You are pretty good" Rel said, straightening up, "What is your name?". The boy looked up, his forehead sparkle in the late afternoon sun, due to the sweat trickling down his face.
   "Anyn" He smiled, "What about you?"
   "Rel" They immediately regretted saying their real name, as Anyn's eyes widened.
   "Your name is Rel?" He said looking slightly confused.
   "Yes?" Rel re-sheathed their daggers. "Why?"
   "Oh, it's just that Mama always talks about how much I remind her of her 'lost child' Rel." Anyn said. "Hey are you staying anywhere? I'm sure Mama would take you! If not Sis might" Rel was is slight shock at the information revealed by this child.
   "U-uhm thank you. I would love that" Rel stuttered.
   "Great!" He lept up and ran towards the house he came out of a few hours ago. "Cmon Rel!" He beckoned them before disappearing inside the house.
   Rel walked up to the door slowly turning the knob and opening it. They stood in wonder looking around the house. It hadn't changed. The same pale grey walls and spruce trim. The same pictures on the walls. The furniture was different and there was a fuzzy picture of a young Anyn with Candence, Rel's older sister.
   "Mama (ma-MA)" Rel looked to the left slightly, seeing Anyn disappear through a doorway. They quietly followed behind, opening the door and stepping into the room.

.:():.

Rel stepped into a small living room. It had a small couch and an armchair. A stone fireplace was lit on one wall, and bookshelves lined the other. A beat up rug sat in the scented of the room underneath a spruce coffee table. Rel walked in as Anyn plopped down on one side of the couch, picking up and book and curling up. In the arm chair sat a woman who seemed to be in her late 40s. She had greying brown hair and dark green eyes. She wore a long green dress and a white apron. She had a half finished sweater in her lap and two knitting needles held in her hand.
   "Hello!" She said lifting her head and looking at Rel, "who are...?" Anyn cut her off.
   "Rel this is Mama, Mama this is Rel." Rel waved slightly at the woman as a look of recognition crashed over her.
   "Rel...?" Tears started to fall down her face as she threw her sweater to the side, standing up and running to her child, throwing her arms around them. "You came home..." She said between sobs as she clutched them in her arms. Anyn looked up from his book in surprise at Mamas reaction.
   "What do you mean Mama?" He said closing his book and setting it back on the coffee table. "Rel was just out in the street when i was practicing my sword fighting. He helped me." Rel turned towards Anyn as he said 'he'.
   "Anyn, this is Rel. Your older brother." She smiled before stepping back a few steps. "Rel... I had another baby" she said smiling and beckoning to Anyn. "Anyn Elizeme Elanda, the last child before your father..."
"Dad died??" Rel exclaimed whipping their head towards their mother.
"Yeah, he died about 5 years ago..." Anyn said standing up and walking over to Mama. Rel immediately grabbed their mother pulling her close.
"I am so sorry Mama" She looked up at Rel wiping a single tear that had fallen down her face.
"Anyway, what's new with you, squirt?" Rel smiled at the nickname before sitting down on the couch. Mama sat on the armchair and Anyn went back to his book, but instead of sitting against the arm rest, he curled up against Rel. They smiled.
"The biggest change to me has been that I am not a boy anymore." Mama looked confused,
"Of course you aren't, you are a man"
"No Mama, like I am not a male, nor am I a female, for that matter" Mama was even more confused,
"Okay? So do I just not call you he?" Rel smiled shyly,
"Yeah..." They looked up, connecting eyes with their mother, they were filled with love for her child and how grown up they were.
"So why did you leave?" Mama said, "You were only 8! Did I do something wrong?" At this Anyn looked up.
"You ran away?"
"No Anyn, I didn't"
"Then where did you go for 20 years??" Mama said leaning forward slightly.
"I was taken Mama," Rel said, tears threatening to spill forth from their eyes, "I was ripped from you by a demon with no mercy..."

AN: Thank you all for 400 reads! This is literally insane! I didn't even expect this book to get 10 if I am being completely honest. I hope y'all are having an amazing day. Get off your butts and go outside, it is beautiful today (At least where I live). Don't forget to drink some water 💦, and have a good day alright!

~Syre