Chapter 39

These last few years, whenever Shi Wuduan wasn't fleeing from disaster, he was plotting rebellion. He lived with his head hanging on his waist belt. The first time he'd actually went to a rouge and powder painted paradise, he'd started choking on all the rouge and powder the moment he stepped in, turning into a little sneeze bug. He'd smugly thought that, since he was grown up already, he knew all about adult stuff. In truth, he didn't know jack shit, so he froze up instantly.

After who knew how long, his brain finally caught up, Little Li-zi is.... kissing my mouth?

Then what should I do? He asked himself. Then his brain, which had suddenly rusted over, creaked and groaned as it chugged along for an age and a half before coming to a conclusion - I don't know!

He remained stunned up until the moment Bai Li pulled away, but not before he lightly, suggestively bit his lip.

"Do you understand?" Bai Li's eyes narrowed, his gaze falling onto Shi Wuduan's reddened lips.

Shi Wuduan shook his still muddled head. He still felt awkward as ever and couldn't resist wiping off his lips. He hopped off the branch straight away and said, "This....this....."

"What?"

Shi Wuduan found himself at a loss for words. Ever since that night when he'd overheard Bai Li's conversation with that mysterious man and guessed that perhaps Yan Zhen had been the one to open the Hall of Demons, he'd been determined to keep Bai Li by his side.

He almost couldn't imagine what kind of circumstances would force him to become enemies with Bai Li. But... what else could he do? Recently, even though he'd been busy wrangling all those wily guests, he'd found time to travel all over Haining Commandery with Bai Li as he subtly reminded him how terrible everything had been before they'd taken over; he didn't even hide his conversations with the military commander of Great Qian from Bai Li.

- Look! This is the reason we've chosen this path, the reason why we picked up hoes and smashed open the doors to the government offices, the reason why we rose in rebellion; I'll make you see that I'm right.

He tried to change Bai Li little by little through gradual osmosis and indirect suggestions. Sometimes, he'd even shamelessly stick to him - I've been friends with you for so long, are you really going to turn into my adversary?

Shi Wuduan knew that right then, all he had to do was nod. Just one little nod and Bai Li could remain. Xia Duanfang said there were innumerable demons concealed within his shadow, then that meant his status was obvious as day. Bai Li's attitude alone could entirely alter the karmic ties between the Hall of Demons and Great Qian.....

But.... it was too unthinkable.

Bai Li sat on the branch; the silver bow slung across his shoulder almost made him seem to glow. He stared unblinkingly at Shi Wuduan. Shi Wuduan's gaze suddenly darkened, knowing that no matter what, he couldn't rashly promise anything on the matter. Thus he sighed, looked down, then up again. He avoided the matter entirely and said, "Come down, Little Li-zi. Let's head back first."   

Bai Li hopped off the branch and followed him, his head lowered. When they had climbed up, they'd been laughing and joking together. When they climbed down, neither of them spoke to the other. A while later, Bai Li suddenly stepped forward and took Shi WUduan's hand, cold from being exsposed to the wind, into his own two hands. His hands were very cold as well. Only his palms were slightly warm, and he used that little bit off heat to help Shi Wuduan's hand.