Chapter 45 - Nothing To Lose

Hello, lovelies! So how about this? I updated on time! Oh, yeah. Cookie for me. 

This chapter was one of my favorites so I hope you enjoy it. Please comment, vote, and fan if you liked it. Laters, baby! :D <3

______________________________________________________________________

My eyes opened gradually, trying to adjust to the bright white lights that were blinding my vision. It was so painfully bright that my eyes diluted from the sensation. Where was I? My room was never this... glowing. And I never slept this upright in position. I let my eyes slowly adjust and decided to take in my surroundings when it didn’t hurt so much.

I looked dazedly to my right, finding foreign things that quite frankly scared the shit out of me.

I looked to my left, feeling the panic quickly seep in. 

I was in a hospital. A hospital. What for? Then I knew why, for a lightly throbbing sensation pulsated at the back of my head, spreading to the sides of my skull. But how had that happened? I looked to my right again, remembering that there had been something that stood out during my survey of the room. I had been too panicked at the sight of hospital walls back then to have dwelled too much on the fact. Yet now I was looking right at him and every last memory came rushing in. I had left school and gone home, followed by Connor. He made it to my house before me and did everything possible to make my day an even worse hell. He had pushed me, hit me, and left me bleeding. Then Fabian had somehow appeared and put things in their place. And I remembered the last thing I saw before succumbing to the blackness; His eyes.

But most importantly, I remembered we had been caught by the school staff. So why was he here? For a last goodbye? I might as well find out. 

“When am I getting out of this place?” I asked, waiting for his reaction. How long had he been sitting beside the bed, reading an old magazine? A while, surely, because he had been distracted enough to not hear my movements when I awoke.

Fabian’s head snapped upward to me and he threw the magazine to the floor. His warm brown eyes were wide with surprise. He looked like a beautiful young boy with that expression on his face. I smiled softly at him and couldn’t help but chuckle at his reaction. He gained his composure, standing up from the chair and sitting instead on an empty space in the bed in which I laid. He took my hand and kissed each knuckle, making my heart jump in surprise. I watched him, waiting dreadfully for the moment in which he’d say, ‘I’m glad you’re okay, Mel, but I’m afraid this is it. We’ve gone on too long. Its a risk I can’t take any longer.’ My heart was beating loudly and my lungs felt constricted; it became hard to breathe. 

“You’re awake.” He whispered in relief. That wasn’t what I had expected him to say but neither was it what I wanted him to say. “How are you feeling?” His eyes clouded with worry.

“I’m fine. My head hurts a little but nothing I can’t handle.” I smiled. Fabian smiled too, happy to hear what I said. I wasn’t surprised that he cared for me still. I knew he’d always care for me, for anyone, really. He was a good man who deserved better. I would understand when he left because this wasn’t what he needed. He needed a strong woman who wouldn’t endanger him of being put on the sexual predators list, who didn’t threaten his job and life stability. He didn’t need a complication like myself. I would understand... Right? 

After a second of silence, I decided to let myself be greedy with questions. 

“You didn’t answer my question.” I said, teasing him with a smile. If this was the last time I’d see him then I might as well have made it as less awkward as I could.