XXXIII

"Avie, can you come back here for a minute?" Dego asked from the doorway of his office.

I nodded at him and stepped around Angel, who ignored me stonily.

"What's up?" I asked, leaning against the back of his chair once he took a seat at his desk.

" Im looking at airbnb's, let's go through a few of them together," he said, gesturing to the computer screen.

"Oh, I thought you had a house?"

"YeahI do, I just feel like getting one in Ponta Vedra, though cause it will be closer to where you live."

" Ohhh...I'm don't want to make you spend extra money because of me, "I said cautiously.

Dego turned to look at me in an amused way.

"Avery, I can afford this just fine. That's not really an obstacle here."

"I know Dego, that's not what I meant, I just... I would feel like I was taking advantage of your generosity is all. "

"I know you already said that Avery but would you just forget about that, I wouldn't have suggested it if this wasn't something I wanted to do," he said, faintly frustrated seeming.

"Well....alright. I believe you. But I just...I want to be honest with you." I stepped around his chair so I could look him in the face." I like you a lot Dego, but at the same time I'm not sure how I feel about you yet and I don't want you getting the wrong idea of me. I would like to just be friends with you for now...to be honest I think I'm going to have a hard time liking anyone in the future after what happened to me with the... The last person I liked." I still wasn't sure if I'd said it how I wanted to, and I put a gentle hand on Dego's forearm to soften my words. "But as long as you know that, I'd very much look forward to going on a trip with you."

Dego nodded slowly. "I think that's fair enough, and thanks for saying that, it was very honest of you."

I nodded and took a little step back, giving him the chance to change his mind if he wanted.

"So you still wanna take the trip?" He asked me.

"Yes," I nodded, smiling.

"Okay, get over here," he motioned wth his hand.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

It took me forever to pack for the trip, not having the widest selection to choose from. Over the last two years my closet had been narrowed down to work clothing and chore clothing.

I never went anywhere or did anything fun with friends, so in time as my clothing wore out and I got rid of it, I never bothered getting more.

I took a small amount of money from the cash box in my bottom drawer and took a trip to the closest mall, which wasn't very close, and bought myself a few new items.

The house Dego was renting was unbelievable, it could have housed fifteen people, had a pool and a hot tub, and beach access.

I had figured this man was well off, but now I was starting to wonder if he was also a part of the mafia. I made a mental note to ask him that next time.

I never exactly told Scott who the friend was I was going in this trip with; some surprises were best saved for afterwards.

A week from the day I stayed the night at Dego's house for the first time, I was staying there again.

We had to leave at six a.m. to get to the airport, so I told Scott I would be leaving his car at the restaurant until I got back.

He never had much to say about it, he thought it was good I was going to visit Dad though, and just shrugged when I told him I would be going with a friend from work and making a little vacation out of it.

He was a pretty easy-going fellow and didn't have much to say about things one way or the other.

I felt a little bad, leaving him alone on the ranch. I didn't quite understand why he still didn't have a girlfriend, but thought it might have to do with the first time he'd gotten his heart broke five years ago. He never quite seemed to get over that girl.

The day before we were leaving for the trip I brought my luggage with me to work including my pillow and favorite throw blanket, since I guessed I would be sleeping on Dego's couch again.

The evening shift flew by as evenings usually did being the busiest part of the day, and soon enough we locked all the doors and tidied the restaurant for the cleaning ladies who would come in after us. God was smiling on me tonight because Angel had called in sick.

As soon as I clocked out I turned around to grab my things from the break room and bumped straight into Dego, who caught me by my arms with a laugh and said, "What are you in such a hurry about?"

I grinned up at him. "You know what."

He laughed and let me go.

"Get your things, I'm right after you."

I did, and waited for him by the back door. It was so cold out there, I didn't want to leave the warm building any sooner than I had to.

I was startled a little when Dego appeared right behind me, put his arm around my shoulders and said, leaning down," I'm sorry, but you are so adorable right now I have to do this," and he placed a row of kisses from my cheek down to my collar.

My mouth parted in surprise and I could do nothing but stare at him for a moment. I had little goosebumps on my arms now from the sensation of his lips on my neck.

"Come on, don't look at me like that, if you didn't look so perfect I wouldn't have had to do it," he said, pulling his coat on.

I smiled at him, shaking my head.

"You're delusional." I opted for an argument, hoping he wouldn't see my blush.

"Whatever Avery," he said, winking at me.