VIII

I was watching them skin the fish outside on the porch when my phone started buzzing in my back pocket.

It was my father.

"Hey dad!" I hadn't heard from him in over a month.

"Hey squirrel, how are you doing?"

"Great. Life's pretty good." I walked away from the porch down the driveway.

"That's good, I called because your aunt told me you have left to live with Scott, and she wasnt very happy about it."

I looked back to make sure no one was listening. Weston was leaning on a pillar gazing right at me, but he quickly turned away when I looked in his direction.

"Dad- it was terrible there, I couldn't bear to stay there one more day...I had nothing in common with any of them and it was so uncomfortable," I pleaded.

"Hmmmm. I knew you were going to say that. Well it's fine with me as long as you were respectful to her. "

"I was."

"Alright. Do you need anything? I can put some money in your account if you need."

"Nope, I'm fine Dad, thanks though. "

"Are you sure?"

"Yep, I'm all good," I assured.

"Okay, well I'll be home in two months, not sure how long I'll be able to stay for, but that's the plan."

"That's awesome dad! I bet you can't wait." I found myself smiling.

" You bet, well I better go now, I love you," he said.

"I love you too, bye," I said, turning back towards the house with the smile widening on my lips.

So, Aunt Jessica didn't even suspect, and the communication in my family was so bad, Dad probably wouldn't even be in contact with Scott before I got there.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~••~•~•~••~••~•

After our lunch of our morning catch, I packed my belongings in the cab, glad that Lynne has insisted on washing everything I had along. I was dressed in a fresh pair of khaki shorts and a white crew tank, and when I went to the bathroom one last time before we hit the road, I was in the mood to look nice, well, nicer, so I brushed my straight hair and put on mascara and eyeshadow, a coat of lip gloss, and left my skin how it was. My leather necklace with beads and an arrowhead I tied around my throat, (a relic from my Rambo phase) and walked back out onto the porch, where everyone was gathered.

"Ready?" Wes asked, one foot on the second step.

"Yep."

"It was so nice meeting you, we hope to see you again Avery," Lynne said, giving me a hug.

" Aw, you too, you have a very nice family, " I said, and then shook George's hand.

Davie nodded at me, Matt and Derek gave me hugs, and Amanda just stood there with her arms crossed, an ugly expression gracing her features.

I wished I could tell her I wasn't there to steal her brother, but I wasn't a liar. I very much wanted her brother.

"See y'all," I called, stepping up into the truck.

Weston put it in gear and we drove away.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~••~•~••~•~•~•

"So what are you in the mood for?" Weston asked, looking over at me with a smile.

"Hmmm....I could be in the mood for lots of things," I wiggled my eyebrows suggestively.