Any Way The Wind Blows

It was the spring of 1985, and Johnny Lawrence had just picked you up for the prom.

You wore your favorite colored gown, and you looked regal while doing so. Carefully walking to the car, you tried to conceal a surprise underneath the fabric. Johnny didn't question as you practically fell into the leather interior.

He looked you up and down on multiple occasions, peeling his eyes off of the road to send not-so-subtle glances your way. You responded to this behavior with little swats on the arm.

Walking into the gymnasium was a little difficult. You continuously tripped over the bottom of your floor length dress, something you weren't used to wearing often. You held onto Johnny for dear life on some occasions. He didn't question this however, he reveled in it.

Daniel walked in with Ali on his arm. He wore a powder blue suit, she partnered her look with a similar blue dress. You smiled in their direction, but their conversation looked everything but pleasant. Six months into their relationship, and they were already fighting like a married couple.

"I told you the brakes were gonna go!" She shouted.

"You know what," Daniel huffed, "that's the last time I'm ever letting you drive my car!"

"Daniel, if you're gonna keep acting like this-"

You and Johnny looked to each other. Johnny's eyes were wide, recognizing this type of attitude from his ex-girlfriend.

"Hey!" The two of you said in unison with fearful smiles.

Daniel crossed his arms, rolling his eyes. Ali made sure to stand professionally next to him, going in to hug the two of you.

"Don't you both look adorable!" She squealed.

"So do you and Daniel." You pointed out.

Ali's concrete smile faltered.

"Yeah." She said with her teeth gritted and her eyes wide. "Sure do..."

The cobras came over then, interrupting any form of awkward communication. They oohed at the sight of you, grinning ear to ear. Tommy lifted your hand, giving you a little twirl.

"So elegant!" Bobby gasped.

"This fabric is wonderful," Dutch played with the very bottom of your skirt that grazed the floor. You swatted his hand away urgently.

"Woah, calm down there princess." He laughed.

"You look marvelous, darling." Tommy whistled.

"Simply divine." Jimmy poked his head out from around Dutch.

"Yeah, you take good care of this one, Johnny." Dutch winked in his general direction.

"Don't worry," his hand wrapped around your waist and pulled you toward him slightly, "I have been."

Just then, Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper, began to play over the speakers. You immediately melted into the music.

"Sorry boys," you teased, "I'll be back."

"Don't keep us waiting too long!" Tommy shouted after you.

Balancing on your toes, you jogged across the dance floor. You didn't even bother interrupting Ali's conversation with Daniel. Instead, you grabbed her arm and began pulling her out to the dance floor. It gave both her and Daniel a sense of relief.

"Come on," you laughed, "let's dance!"

As the synthesizer filled the room, you danced in circles. You twirled Ali and she spun around you. The two of you laughed and giggled for the entirety of the song, getting lost in the moment.