Last First Date

You managed to get through the entire practice without Johnny or Daniel trying to kill each other. In fact, they helped correct each other on their stances and bonded.

As for you, Mr. Miyagi seemed proud. He watched over the boys intently, turning to you a few times throughout the time being. He could tell your influence on them was good.

The next day brought a new week. But not just any week, the week of Thanksgiving.

You found many things to be thankful for, but aside from that, it was a little difficult. This was your first Thanksgiving away from Greece for so long. Although it wasn't celebrated there, you and your tiny family had always marked your calendar's for that day. Every Thanksgiving that you were there, you honored your father by blasting his favorite songs as the sun set. He adored Fleetwood Mac, so that was always your first choice.

But now, you didn't have that.

Sure, there was the California sunset, but it wasn't the same. The Greece sunset was superior, casting a beautiful glow on it's people as it dipped into the water to conclude the day.

Thanksgiving break was short, but it would give you plenty of time to think and reflect. As much as you hated to admit it, California gave you a lot to be thankful for.

For starters, you felt a lot closer to your grandfather now. The record shop was a blessing, and now it just felt right to have it. When you first moved here, you had complained. You had wanted nothing more than to toss the keys to your uncle, who at the time you didn't know. But now, you understood that this was fate for you to be here.

Then you had Ali. She was one of your first friends here. And although Susan and Barbara weren't exactly real friends, they helped you grow. Your friendship with them was a learning experience. Ali showed you what it was like to have a true friend, while Susan and Barbara became warning signs of the sort.

There was also Daniel. You were surprisingly thankful for his stubbornness. That specific trait of his helped you see that same quality in yourself. By watching him, you learned to control that in yourself. But you also learned to embrace it.

Mr. Miyagi helped you beyond anything you could have asked for. He quickly became a father figure to you, teaching you the ways of life. He showed you how to stay balanced, and how to remain rooted like a bonsai tree. Because of him, your slight temper could be contained. You learned to stop being so angry about the move, and to just accept it. He showed you who you were, and where you came from. And he showed you a whole new side of yourself that you didn't know existed.

Then there was the Cobras. Those boys made your move a lot easier then you realized. Their silly sense of humor, their games, even their affection for you had made you feel welcomed and... whole again. You don't know what it was about them, but those boys held a special place in your heart.

Especially Johnny.

Johnny was everything you promised yourself to stay away from. For the longest time, you pushed away your connection to him because it made you feel vulnerable. You saw a lot of yourself in him, and that made you mad considering the circumstances. He was pushy, arrogant, and stubborn. At the start, you enjoyed the thrill of getting him upset. The adrenaline rush made the blood in your veins dance with excitement. You enjoyed testing him, and pushing him beyond the limits because you felt as though you were getting to test yourself. You weren't just pushing past his boundaries, but you were pushing past your own. For so long, there were qualities about yourself that you despised. Instead of running from them, Johnny gave you the chance to tackle them head on. You advanced in your rounds, the games becoming more intense. And once you finally called a truce, you realized how important Johnny had been to your personal growth.