It's My Party & I'll Cry If I Want To

Johnny tried to run after you as you exited the dojo. You didn't let him catch up as you skated away and out of sight.

You hadn't wanted him to question Kreese's comment about knowing who you were.

You avoided him as much as you could the next day at school. Eventually, he got the idea that you didn't want to talk. And surprisingly, he left you alone.

As Friday approached faster and faster, your nerves were heightened. That morning, you woke up to your mother singing you happy birthday, bestowing a small, round cake to you with candles barricading the perimeter.

"Happy birthday, my love!"

But was it really a happy birthday?

You had so many wild thoughts running through your head. There was always one thing after another. And it was always hard to keep up with your own attachment to Johnny.

One moment, you constantly craved to be around him. The next, you couldn't be around him. You couldn't possibly let your emotions take over, but you unfortunately had. It hurt to be around him because you couldn't tell him the truth. It also hurt for other reasons, such as you not being able to admit your true feelings for him.

Every time you had tried, something had always happened, something that interfered drastically. You didn't want to bring yourself to admit it to him because you were fearful of the outcome. Did he even feel the same way anymore? You had been so distant lately, you couldn't possibly blame him if he didn't.

As the day drew on, your feet only dragged more and more. The happy birthday shouts in the hallway made you uncomfortable. Had Ali told all of these people? If all of this stuff wasn't happening, you would've taken this a lot better. You would have accepted the compliments greatly, smiling as you did so. But after everything that had happened lately, the attention made you nervous.

When P.E. rolled around, all eyes were on you.

You kept your eyes adverted from the cobra's gaze. Instead, you watched Ali and Daniel playing soccer across the field. Ali was a natural, kicking it all the way down the field and into the net effortlessly, and with great force. She let out a cheer while Daniel's shoulders slumped in defeat.

Through her laughter, she caught sight of you walking along the edge of the field and waved. She then grabbed Daniel's wrist and ran straight for you.

"Hey, birthday girl!"

You smiled, "Hi, Ali."

She grinned wildly and practically skipped next to you. "So, I got your mom to clear your schedule for tonight, remember?"

You thought back to a few days prior and nodded your head.

"Well," she looked to Daniel excitedly, "we have a party planned for you!"

Your eyebrows rose, your jaw dropping. "Really?"

"Yup!" She said fascinated, "at my parent's country club."

"Are you being for real?" You squealed.

"I've been planning this for two weeks! Of course I'm being for real!"

Amazed, you tripped over your words. "When should I be there?"

"Eight o'clock," she smirked, "Encino Oaks Country Club."

You nodded your head in agreement. "I'll be there."

Ali nodded her head with a smile of relief before heading off in the other direction. Behind her, Johnny was playing soccer with the Cobras. He purposefully shot the ball directly at her feet as she walked, almost tripping her in the process.

"Way to go butter-toes." Jimmy said bluntly.

Johnny ignored him, instead he directed a smile toward her. "Hi, Ali."

"Hi, Ali." She mocked.

You couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

But next to you, Daniel had you doubting the scene before you.

"I can't believe this," he mumbled, "he's still drooling over her."

You said nothing, only directed your eyes back toward Johnny. His back was to you as he watched Ali walk away.

Your stomach turned in a knot. Johnny had told you before that he didn't feel that way about Ali anymore, but something within you alerted your senses. The two of them were up to something...
•••
Getting ready that evening was incredibly difficult.

Your mind was running with all the ways you could possibly mess this up. Encino Hills Country Club screamed rich. You feared them turning their noses up to you. How would they treat you?

But then your muscles relaxed, your mind slowing to a stand still. Ali was in charge of this party, and she was sure to make it special. She would make sure that everything was perfect and that you were treated with respect.

But... would you fit in?

You had no issues around the Encino crowd before, but now that you were attending your own party at a lavish center of a rich part of town, you had your doubts. Your nerves crawled up the back of your neck as a reminder that you were doomed. You tried not thinking that way, but sometimes it felt impossible.

As your mind continued to spin off into useless and hurtful tangents, you took matters into your own hands. You weren't going to let the anxiety get to you, but you would acknowledge it. In your mind, there was a difference. Yes, you were nervous and that was alright. But you weren't going to let it consume you. This was your party, and you would let your mood take you wherever it decided. There was no rush to be happy. It was okay to bask in the emotions and get them out before you even stepped foot in Encino.

You were going to fix your problems how you knew best.

Music.

You jumped over to your record player and placed the needle on a special song. It was one that you felt described your situation perfectly, and of course you felt it was wrong to not jam out while you got ready.

It's My Party by Lesley Gore wafted out of the record player, filling up your senses with the joyful sound of music. As you pulled out your favorite party dress, you held it to your chest and examined it in the mirror. You twirled, watching the way if flowed around you. Immediately, you knew this was the one. As you put it on, you sang along to the words.

Your heart immediately dropped to your toes.

Nobody knows where my Johnny has gone, but Judy left the same time... why was he holding her hand when he's supposed to be mine?

You tried to halt your thoughts, but they continued without permission. You hated the way your mind drifted to Ali. Was Daniel right? Were Johnny and Ali still in love with each other?

Was this why you had such a hard time telling Johnny the truth about your feelings? Was it all just a sign from God that you shouldn't tell him...

You loved him.

It was silly to think, but true nonetheless. You had never admitted you loved anyone but you felt the term was accurate. Johnny had been a light in your life, a distraction after the big move from Greece. You left your whole world behind, but now it seemed that it was right in front of you.

That he was right in front of you.

If Johnny and Ali still had major feelings for each other, your world was about to shatter very quickly.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to, cry if I want to...

Did Johnny not want closure from Ali because he still wants to be with her? Is that why he hasn't gotten it yet?

And did Ali not give it to him because she still wants to be with him?

You would cry too if it happened to you...