Chapter 13

With a pained roar Brooklyn clasped at his head and fell to his knees. His bones ached and his muscles throbbed. A horrified Loona feared something had gone wrong and she didn't know how to stop it.

Brooklyn crumbled forward in a heap as he panted, gripping the wooden floor as his horns and wings retracted into his skin and his red hide turned pale.

It was excruciatingly painful. Fortunately, it was over in moments.

As he caught his breath Loona cautiously knelt down beside him. She knew it would be a stupid question to ask if he was okay. She put her hand on his shoulder and he flinched. His once thick hide was now vulnerable and soft to the touch.

He exhaled in relief. The worst of it was done. He opened his eyes; his talons had left scratch marks in the floorboards, but his hands were smaller and his nails rounded.

He wobbled as he tried to stand up again. He almost fell backwards as he wasn't accustomed to standing on his heels and without his tail. Loona took his arm and helped him steady himself.

She got a good look at his human form and she was left breathless. His lean musculature remained, however it was strange looking upon him without his dragon-like beak or his horns. His face was thin with very prominent cheekbones, his eyes a deep blue, and his white hair was still wild but looking much softer now.

Loona flushed. As if he hadn't looked beautiful before.

She caught herself checking out his physique again when it occurred to her that he was practically naked, save for his kilt. She was quick to take off her trench coat and throw it around his shoulders. If she had to look at his handsome bod for much longer she thought she was going to pass out.

He quickly pulled the coat shut. His kind didn't have much need for modesty but his human skin wasn't as resilient against the cold.

They both had the same idea. First order of business was to get him some clothes.

***

A city like Manhattan never sleeps, so it didn't take long for Loona and Brooklyn to find a boutique that best suited his needs and taste.

She let him keep the coat until they got him a change of clothes that were to his liking. A black sleeveless button-down shirt, a tattered pair of jeans, and black riding boots. He picked out a few accessories with Loona's help as well. A couple studded leather wristbands and a small silver pendant to highlight his collarbone.

In the store it was so strange seeing his own reflection as a human, as last time he didn't even have the chance to. He couldn't help but be a little vain; even he had to admit he looked good.

Loona paid for all of it in cash.

As they left the boutique Brooklyn eyed Loona's old wallet suspiciously.

"Loona, where'd you get all that money?" he questioned. "You... didn't steal it, did you?"

"Of course, I did."

"Yeah, dumb question..." He wanted to object to stealing, but had to remind himself of the desperation humans can be driven to in times of need. Or how former ally Demona had lived for centuries and had to sustain herself by robbing humans of their food stores and livestock. "But only use it when you need to."

"Fine! Jeez!"

As they walked down along the sidewalk Brooklyn was quick to drape Loona's coat back on her shoulders.

"Oh!" Loona blushed. "You sure?"

"Yeah."

She smirked as she slid her arms back into the sleeves. "Thanks, but the cold doesn't bother me that much. Really I just wear this 'cause it's easier to hide."

"Hmm."

As Loona pocketed her wallet, Brooklyn asked, "The people you stole that money from. You didn't hurt them, did you?"

"Of course not." She wanted to reassure him that it was strictly a matter of punching cash registers just right, but she chose not to. She wasn't sure if he'd buy that a skinny-looking human such as her could pull it off.

"So... human for a day," Loona reminded. "So what do you want to do first?"

***

They took a stroll through Central Park, mostly just so Brooklyn could get used to walking as a human. It was still odd without his tail for balance; even just wearing shoes was a lot.

They had passed by a few joggers and dog walkers out for their late-night constitutional. Brooklyn almost ducked into the brush on instinct and Loona had to hold him back.

It was so strange having people look at him and not freak out. Strange, but a relief.

They had been walking for about twenty minutes, and sat on a bench to rest their feet.

Brooklyn sighed. That transformation had taken a lot more out of him than he thought and he shivered as he rubbed at his bare shoulders. He should have thought to get a jacket as well.

Loona was quick to notice and slipped her coat off, draping it across the both of them like a blanket.

She glanced away. It was so embarrassing to be so close to him. That she wanted to be this close to him. He responded by putting his arm around her and pulled her in further.

It was the first time that either of them felt safe among humans.