Chapter 3

The police were only able to keep the press at bay for one day regarding the alleged werewolf attack. The following evening it was all that the news programs could talk about.

As such the gargoyle clan of Castle Wyvern were made privy to it as well.

They had gathered in the television room in hopes that the news had something to say about the Quarrymen rally that they had broken up. Unfortunately not a single reporter made mention of it, not even as an aside. Despite the amount of damage they caused, the terrorist group the Quarrymen were still rarely mentioned by most news outlets.

To their irritation it was all about the werewolf, as if the city of Manhattan wasn't already obsessed with the existence of gargoyles.

"... One witness, who chose to remain anonymous, described it as a gray wolf on its hind legs and dressed in a black coat. While authorities could neither confirm or deny its authenticity, investigators did find that the waste disposal unit had been torn open from the outside, seemingly by hand."

Hudson, their elder former leader, turned up the volume as the rest of the clan leaned in closer. Their current leader Goliath had been patrolling the hall when he chose to hear more of this.

"Already there's speculation that this creature is another branch of the Gargoyle Menace plaguing New York..."

With that, Hudson shut the TV off. "Ha! Ridiculous!"

"Yeah, they're still on about that?" Brooklyn protested. "We didn't do anything!"

"Bad news, I'm afraid," another voice interjected. Elisa, having been given the clearance from Owen downstairs, stood in the archway. "Those Quarrymen you busted the other night? They're all good and lawyered up. Some of them have already started blaming this supposed wolf for that store they trashed."

The clan's hound Bronx whined and rested his chin on the rug.

"The fun just never stops with those guys, does it?" Brooklyn remarked, crossing his arms in front of him.

Goliath turned to Elisa. "What news do you have of this werewolf?"

"Aside from what you just saw on the news? None so far. Just that it really likes its leftover steak rare. Nobody was hurt, but I don't wanna see what happens when people make it angry..."

With that it was already settled. Their top priority was to find this creature.

On their way out to the castle courtyard, Brooklyn glanced at Goliath's daughter Angela, still holding hands with Broadway. He looked away so they wouldn't see him scowling.

Must they be so affectionate...?

They made their way up the castle ramparts. It had been a while since they moved out of the police station clock tower and back to their old home. In spite of their difficult and complicated history with David Xanatos, in light of recent events he was making to be an adequate landlord, to say the least. Since he and his dear wife Fox had their first son Alexander they both found something truly worthy the gargoyles' protection and trust.

Brooklyn leaned out and gazed at the city. "It had better not be another one of Sevarius' little experiments," he growled. "He's done enough damage..."

Goliath nodded. "However, in case it is, someone should touch base with the Labyrinth. The Mutates might know something about it."

Brooklyn perched along the battlement, eager to launch. "I'll go."

Broadway put his hand on Brooklyn's shoulder. "Hold on, buddy. You'd better let me and Angela take this one."

Brooklyn looked back at them. He was annoyed, but he nodded with a relented sigh. Their history with Dr. Anton Sevarius and the way he experimented on the Mutates was still something Brooklyn took very personally. For now it was best that they go in his stead.

"It's been so long since I've seen Maggie, anyway," Angela added.

"Elisa, you and I shall examine the crime scene," Goliath proposed. "If that is permitted, of course."

Elisa smiled. "Fine by me. I can't imagine you'll find anything that we haven't found yet."

Bronx rushed up by her side and rubbed his head against her wrist. Perhaps he could be of some help.

"Excellent idea, Bronx," Goliath agreed.

Elisa affectionately scratched the hound's head. "Yeah, who needs a trained smell-hound when we've got you, buddy?"

Bronx let out a contented whine.

"I'm coming with you," Lexington chimed in. "Owen is looking after little Alex tonight."

"Very well," said Goliath. "You all have your assignments."

"Wait! Hold on!" Brooklyn reminded. "What about me?"

Hudson, having caught up with him, put his hand on Brooklyn's shoulder. "Perhaps you might want to check the cemetery, lad. As I do recall, werewolves have been said to be restless spirits of the dead."

"Ha! Yeah, some guy really rose out of his grave for a cold half-eaten steak." He glanced back at the old gargoyle. He was only trying to help. "I'll go check it out anyway."

Angela took her perch and launched off.

Broadway smiled at Brooklyn. "We'll tell Maggie you said 'Hi,' okay?" He launched off as well.

"Yeah... Thanks."

Hudson patted his shoulder and Brooklyn glided off.