Chapter 12

Loona, having returned to her wolf form, gritted her teeth as she sat at the altar, vigorously flipping through the leather-bound book. There was nothing written about transforming gargoyles into humans or vice versa.

She growled and threw the book at the wall. "Dammit!!"

She sulked. She doubted she'd have better luck in the public library.

"You'll never find the transformation spell you're looking for in that stuffy old thing," a mischievous voice observed.

Loona shrieked and bolted around. Standing behind her was an impish man with white blonde hair and pointed ears. She snarled and hunched on all fours, baring her rows of sharp teeth. This man wasn't standing, he was floating inches above the floor.

She retrieved the book and chucked it at his head. "GET OUT!!"

The man smirked and tilted his head, the book barely missing him. "Oh! Now that might have hurt me..."

He snapped his fingers and a leather muzzle coiled around Loona's jaws, clamping it shut as a short leash anchored her where she stood, leaving the man just out of reach when she tried to claw his eyes out.

The man took a seat on the steps. He leaned back against the wooden statue of Mary Magdalene as Loona struggled to pry off the muzzle. For something presumably made of leather it was nigh impenetrable.

The impish man grinned. "Oh, you're a fiery one. No wonder Brooklyn has taken a fancy to you."

"Hmm!?" Loona's eyes widened and she stopped struggling.

He stood back up and playfully floated by her side. "Oh, yes. I know him and his kind quite well. Not too unlike humans. Such fun to play with."

He draped his arm around her shoulders and Loona growled.

"As are you, my little wolf pup." He looked her in the eye and said, "And I know you fancy him, too..."

Loona took a swipe at him but he backed away.

He crossed his legs as he continued to levitate. "I must say you've managed well on your own this whole time. You've even found yourself a human disguise. Well done."

Loona scowled. Nosy much?

"And you want to do the same for your beau." He floated headfirst so that he was but an inch away from Loona's snout. "That is just so sweet."

Loona grumbled and crossed her arms. She would've denied it if her mouth weren't clamped shut.

"But you'll never find the transformation spell you need in that silly old Grimoire." The man tilted his head towards the blue spell book, now lying open on the floor. "Much of that magic doesn't work on his kind. Or mine, for that matter. But maybe I can help you."

Loona's ears perked up.

"And by the by, I promise I won't tell Brooklyn of your canine form. Your secret's safe with me."

She looked at him in a way implying that she was willing to hear him out. He snapped his fingers again and the muzzle and leash dissolved into nothing.

She rubbed at her snout and raised an eyebrow. "What's the catch?"

"None whatsoever," the man replied. "I just love to play matchmaker from time to time."

Loona hesitated, then lifted her head. "Go on."

***

Brooklyn landed outside the dilapidated church and Loona wasn't there waiting for him. He assumed it was okay to enter. The large wooden doors were left unlatched and it took very little to push them open.