Chapter 5

Brooklyn sat down along a mausoleum roof, one foot dangling over the edge. He had his doubts that he'd find the werewolf at the cemetery, as he figured it was far more likely to go where there was food. Goliath had the right idea that the Mutates, with their connection to the homeless in the city, might know more about it.

He let out a heavy sigh. He had long since come to terms with the fact that Maggie Reed, a founder of the Mutates, did not share the feelings that he had for her. Maggie made her choice with her partner Talon, and that wasn't easy for Brooklyn to come to grips with then.

Now he had to struggle with these feelings all over again and in such close proximity. He envied what Angela and Broadway had. He was happy for them, and far be it for him to even speak of such jealousy. However that only made it all the more painful. At times going out on patrols alone was his only respite.

His ears twitched. Something had climbed onto the roof behind him.

He turned and sprung to his feet, hunched with his wings spread out in an aggressive stance.

His pursuer froze. It was just a silver-haired Goth woman in a black coat.

He calmly lowered his wings. "Do you always make it a habit of stalking unsuspecting gargoyles? Could've at least said 'hello.'"

"I wasn't stalking!" she denied. "I just... I didn't want you to fly off is all..."

"Wait, you thought I was gonna run away from you? Why would I do that?" He looked her over again. "You're not a Quarryman, are you?"

"The hell is a Quarr—I mean, isn't it obvious? I'm used to people running away from me all the time and—" Loona tucked her hair back and was reminded that she was still in her human disguise. Of course he couldn't see why people feared her on sight.

"Whoa, seriously?"

"Yeah... You'd be surprised..."

"Jeez. The cruelty of humans really knows no bounds..."

Loona nodded and glanced away. It was probably best that he didn't know why people feared her.

Brooklyn took a less aggressive stance and smiled. "And you didn't want me to fly off. Why?"

"I just haven't seen a gargoyle before." She cautiously stepped forward and let out a disbelieving chuckle. "I didn't think you were real. I had heard about you and all, but I thought it was some kind of publicity stunt or something."

Brooklyn shrugged. He much preferred her nonchalant reaction to being called a monster.

He draped his wings across his shoulders like a cape and Loona's eyes widened. "Wow. Just how many joints do you have in those things...?"

Brooklyn sat back down and patted the spot next to him. She softly took a seat crosslegged beside him. She wasn't used to someone being this friendly to her.

"So what brings you out here anyway?" Brooklyn asked. "You got family resting here?"

"No," Loona replied. "I mean, I don't think I do. I'm not from here, as far as I know..." She cleared her throat. "God, this is embarrassing. I probably look pathetic... The cliché Goth chick hanging out in a graveyard for no reason..."

"Oh, trust me, much stranger things have happened in the last year. How long have you been living here?"

"Maybe about a week."

Brooklyn raised his eyebrows. "Then you weren't here when the Fairy King declared war on Eyrie Tower."

"Ha, only in New York." Loona paused. "Wait, you're serious."