Chapter 1: Escaping

I woke up to the smell of toast and the noise of people outside. The noise was a normal thing, but the shouts were different this morning. There were no shouts to get the stores open or to get the variety of merchandise outside on their designated perches. No this morning the shouts were focused on getting things set up for a parade. A parade that I am dead set on not going to.

“Vicky! Get your lazy ass out of bed before I push it out!” my best friend Nellie said.

“Alright, alright! Calm down Nell.”

“I don’t see you moving! Come on! It’s operation air ducts!”

“Really? Air ducts? You must be as desperate as I am. I was going to say operation roof-top.”

“Well let’s do air ducts because then you won’t get freaked out about falling and we won’t hear the parade.”

“True. We would hear it and we might see him.” I said making a gagging motion by pointing a finger down my throat. Nellie laughed at that.

Oh. I don’t think I have mentioned what this parade is for. Well let me tell you. It is for the most pompous Prince of the land strutting around on his high horse to announce that he is now going to look for his bride. The whole Royal family is coming out of the castle for this event. Nellie and I both hate the Royal family, as you can tell by the escape attempt we are planning.

Well I have been in this orphanage for almost five years. And I blame the Royal family. Well about two years ago I started one of the most famous blogs in the Kingdom. And it’s where I hate on the Royal family. Needless to say, they have been trying to shut it down since I got 5,000 followers. When they put it in the news that they were going to arrest the owner of the site, well that made it jump from 10,000 followers to 50,000 in less then a day.

Now of course I keep this all anonymous, but I only have one person who knows I write the blog, sometimes she even guest writes! Can you guess who that is? Well I’ll tell you. It’s Nellie! Yup she hates the Royal family just about as much as I do. Granted we both have different reasons, but they are still very similar. We both got put in this orphanage, the Castle Shadow Orphanage, because of them.

I got up out of the bed and grabbed the toast Nellie had brought up. I went over to my closet and grabbed the dress hanging from the back. “Don’t you just hate it how we have to dress up for someone we both don’t like, Nell?”

“Of course. It’s terrible. Although you actually look amazing in that dress, whereas I look like a frumpy doll. This dress doesn’t even fit me right!”

“That’s because it’s one of mine, and I’m taller than you by at least half a foot.”

“Hey! I am growing again you know! My mother and father both hit their growth spurts while in high school!”

“Yeah I know! Now go put on one of your dresses. It will fit better.”

“But yours are so much cuter!”

“Fine. How about this. I will make you a dress. We will go into town after the parade and buy some material. I can sew you a dress that will make any guy fall to their knees for you.”

“You’re the best Tori!” she said hugging me from behind.

“How many times do I have to tell you that you are always completely and totally-”

“Yes I know. I’m overly hyper.”

“That’s not what I was going to say. I was going to say spot on!”

“I hate you.”

“Come on Nell.”

“Nope. And in fact I’m going to stop using your nicknames for the rest of the day, Victoria!”

“Fine. Fine. Then I guess you don’t want to hear my brilliant plan on how to avoid Miss Eldridge.”

“I love you Vic!”

“That’s what I thought!” we both burst out laughing. The noise blocked out the footsteps coming up the stairs.

“Hurry up girls! The crewmen are all finished outside and ready for the parade. I need you all outside and beautiful.”

“Coming Miss Eldridge.” we said in unison. Apparently satisfied she walked out of the room.

“Come on. Let’s go hide Ria!”

“Calm down, Nell. It won’t work if you’re freaking out.”

“Fine. Let’s just go I don’t want to see Mr. Egotistical.”

“God, if he even comes near me I will kick his ass.”

“Come now. What would Miss Royally Uncaring do. I don’t think she would blow her head off for some guy!”

“Shut up. Just go downstairs and get your yellow dress.”

“Ah no! That always makes me look girly!”

“Thats the point of this day Nell. Suck it up tomboy.” She gave me a disinterested glare before going to grab the dress.

I went down a floor to the showers and quickly washed my hair and body. It felt good to get a shower again. I had been sent on some jobs around the city for a couple days and I barely got sleep let alone food and a shower. Although its nothing I haven’t gotten used to over the past few years.

I stayed in the warm water until it turned cold, begrudgingly getting out. I pulled on my undergarments and my dress before walking out.

“Oh thank goodness. I was about to pull you out of there myself young lady. Nellie is already outside, now its time you go.” Miss Eldridge said pulling me behind her by my arm.

“Miss Eldridge. I still need to go upstairs and grab my shoes.” I said hoping that would be enough to go back inside. She had just opened the door when she turned and stared down at my feet.

“For goodness sakes child. Go get shoes on.” I have one last chance to make my self stay away. I walked away and as I got to the stairs I tripped and feigned a sprained ankle. “Oh dear. Go upstairs and lie down Victoria.”

“Okay. I think I should anyway. I feel nauseated.”

“Oh dear. You must be sick. I’ll bring you up a cup of chicken noodle after the parade. I guess its a good thing you have a window over looking the street.”

“Yes it is. Thank you Miss Eldridge.”