discussions over coffee²²

wednesday. just four days left of waiting.

jaemin couldn't let that fact leave his mind as his entire body tingled with excitement. he doesn't think he's ever been excited to see anyone before. it was a weird feeling he definitely wasn't used to, but renjun and jeno were different. just something about them....

it was confusing and didn't make sense almost to the human as he sipped on his coffee, hardly listening to his friends' conversations. why does he feel so... different about them?

though, he would say it was nice to be outside of the house again. sure, he was grounded and most things he wanted to do was extremely limited by the two adults who take care of him, but enough asking got sicheng to give in and let him go to the café with the mystery gang.

"i'm so going to fail that test," yukhei said, his hands on either side of his head as he looked down at his practice paper. "that subject never made sense to me, anyways."

"i say i'll do really good," donghyuck said proudly before leaning over to press against mark and bat his eyelashes in his direction with a smile. "especially you, mark. science is your strongest subject."

mark responded with an arm now around the brown-haired male and a "yeah, i guess so."

"i guess so?" jisung scoffed. "you're great at it."

it was a surprise that jisung was even there at the moment. everyone just (jokingly, of course) expected him to turn them down because he had a date with chenle. to their great shock, they didn't have anything planned.

"yeah," yangyang agreed with a grin. "you should be a scientist."

"i dunno about that," mark chuckled. "i think engineering would be cool though."

"or professional sports," donghyuck chirped. "i love watching you play football. oh! wait! i — " everyone just looked at him curiously as his cheeks went crimson. that came off a bit too affectionately. " — you're amazing at it."

now mark was pink in the face. "t-thanks. but engineering all the way."

"so," jaemin eventually said after awhile. "i guess i'll have to make up that test when i come back from my suspension."

"correction: loads more than just that test," yukhei said helpfully though jaemin obviously knew that.

"i think he knows that," jisung said in response, as if he read jaemin's mind. yangyang then cut in, saying, "nothing has been going on recently either. so you really aren't missing much."

"well, but the weird thing with daehyun," yukhei pointed out.

"i told him that," donghyuck said, his face then twisting with disgust. "if anything, he's lucky to not see daehyun's ugly face."

"definitely," yangyang agreed. "i wish he wasn't allowed to be anywhere near the school or us in general."

jaemin just sipped his coffee, though a huge part of him agreed. but that was wistful thinking. the only way to never see him at school anymore if he gets expelled, which seems like a faraway possibility. daehyun was like glue that was hard to wash away, to be frank, like the universe didn't want him to leave poor jaemin alone.

"look mates, it's motherless!"

jaemin turned his head with the most annoyed expression he could muster, his hand unintentionally gripping his coffee cup a bit too tight. flanked by his two goons that outdo him in both size and physical strength, arrived daehyun, his usual sneer on his pale face.