a hen for a friend⁹

boredom.

that's what jaemin was feeling. complete, utter boredom. his first week back at school flew by faster than he thought it would. ever since he got detention, daehyun was being a lot more nastier to his friends, especially yukhei and yangyang. so, those last days of school were probably the worst he's ever had.

the dark haired teenager closed his eyes, resting his head on his comfortable pillow just before he heard his bedroom door open without a knock. jaemin sat up as his eyes flew open, expecting to see his half-brother, but instead saw his brother-in-law.

"lunch time, nana," sicheng said a singsongy voice with a happy smile over turning around and walking away. jaemin honestly wished that he could be in a good mood just like him. reluctantly, he rolled off his bed and headed for his open door, leaving his room for the first time that day other than breakfast. even then, he hadn't seen a single member of his family since he woke up way before anyone else, wolfed down a piece of toast with butter on it, and immediately hurried back to his room.

peering down from the staircase, he saw everyone else: yuta was sitting on one side beside his husband, while shotaro was sitting across, leaving the only open seat left for jaemin. not wanting to hang around there for any longer and with his stomach admittedly rumbling, he hurried down.

"are you doing anything fun at school?" yuta asked after awhile, his lunch already finished. "taro's going on a field trip soon."

at those words, jaemin saw his nephew beam brighter than the sun. "well, we're doing a research project for science," jaemin answered after a few moments of preferring to eat than talk. "i'm partners with yukhei and jungwoo and we choose biology."

well, yukhei and jungwoo did. he just went along with it without complaint.

"that's interesting," sicheng chirped before turning to his son as he stood up and picked up his own empty plate. "taro, finish up. we need to start getting your stuff for your field trip together."

"okay," shotaro said without meeting his father's eyes, preferring to focus on his own almost finished meal.

jaemin was the last to finish and pretty much forced to stay out of his room and watch tv in the living room. sitting around didn't lift his mood, especially since he had no one to hang out with his family too busy doing other things. shotaro and sicheng were upstairs for ages, only shotaro emerging to grab a fruit for a snack, give a small piece to his uncle, before running back upstairs. yuta was in his office for a bit before going upstairs with his husband and child for the rest of the day.

jaemin would've asked his friends to hang out, but everyone seemed too busy doing something else, which felt weird to him almost. donghyuck had something family-related, mark and yangyang had sports, yukhei just started taking a dance class out of nowhere, and jisung told everyone in the group chat that he didn't want to be bothered while texting his partner for the science project and didn't text again afterwards, which means he thankfully missed the teasing that followed suit.

looks like it's back to the playground.

~*~

"i don't know how you work these," jeno mumbled, holding up the coffee cup as if it was some sort of amazing artefact. they definitely don't have anything like this back at home.

"there's an opening on the lid," renjun said, pulling at the bottom of his cream-coloured sweater before lifting up the cup carefully with two hands. he had already successfully discovered that interesting addition to the container holding the coffee and now was trying to drink it out of the small rectangle-like hole. with a frown he thought, humans made a lot of things i would never think of.