chapter nine

As soon as we touched down on Baltimore, we were already basically in a car going to the Fitness Center. The ride was quiet as to the fact that Ashton was still trying to figure this whole thing out. Calum suggested we dropped out of the league, but I retaliated and said that we had made it so far already, it'd be disappointing. That shut him up.

We arrived at the center at it was very dark at night, but luckily, the guy's cars were all still there. We got down as fast as we could and I tried to keep up with the guys as they jogged to the building. In heels, this was not easy at all.

But we finally got there and as we walked in, Coach had his duffel bag over his shoulder, ready to go. A fee of the team members were standing around, looking defeated. Us three stood on the door frame, covering the entrance.

Coach tried to make it past me, since I was probably the weakest one, but Ashton stepped in and got between us two, making him go back a few steps.

Coach spoke, a sly smirk on his face, "How was Paris?"

"What the hell happened, Coach?" Ashton said, beginning to get pissed off. Coach, however, was not at all phased by this because he kept the slick smile on his seemingly flawless face and kept his cool.

"I found out about the company," Coach spoke, crossing his arms over his chest as he rolled his eyes. Ash tensed, and his face fell. It seemed as if all blood had drained from him. It was ridiculous. "watch who you forward things to, boss."

"Hear me out," Ashton began, but Coach chuckled, letting his bag slam down on the floor. It looked like he was about to snap, but instead, he turned to me.

"Layla, will you please leave the room for one second, I feel you shouldn't hear the words I'm about to say," Coach spoke, looking at me with softened eyes.

"No, she's mine, don't tell her what to do!" Ashton hardened his jaw and clenched his fists, but his statement definitely shocked me.

"Excuse me?" I spoke, my voice coming off angrier than I intended it to. Everyone looked at me as if I was about to snap, but I just couldn't tolerate Ashton's demanding tones.

"You're my assistant, not his!" Ashton finally looked at me, but his gaze remained strict, brusque even. "Just go into the other room, and take the guys with you."

"Layla don't-" Calum began, but I crossed my arms over my chest and huffed.

"Fine," I walked past the guys, who just followed me. There were only around twenty left in the house and I was locked in a room with all of them.

The guys took a seat and they filled up the couches, leaving me standing. I didn't mind, however, because either way I was pacing due to nervousness.

Not even five minutes had passed and screaming was heard on the other side of the thin wooden doors. The guys began to act uneasy, fidgeting and biting their nails. No one dared to pull out their turned-off phones in fear that they might ring and disturb the tension and silence in the room.

All of the sudden, as I was running my fingers through my hair, someone spoke. Luke Hemmings. He was one of the youngest in the league and the youngest in the team. So once he looked up at me, his bright blue eyes filled with fear, I couldn't help but melt. "Ms. Collins, what's going on?"

Everyone in the room looked at him. Never in my life have I felt more powerful. Basically anything I said would impact these guys' lives.

Taking a deep breath, I sat on a chair that had been empty for a while, one that strategically placed me in front of everyone. "Things have been a little hectic for Mr. Irwin lately. And his mind has been elsewhere, and not focused on the team."

"What does that mean?" Luke seemed to be the only brave one in the room filled with only about 20 out of the 53 players. He asked all the questions that the other players seem to have as well.

"Well," I sighed, sniffling as I did so. Uncrossing my legs, I simply crossed my ankles and pushed them back. Luke was still gawking at me, so I continued, "Mr. Irwin has another plan for his future, and it doesn't include our team. See, he wishes to make his own company, and stop living off of the team. So, his choice is to drop the team off the face of the league, or win the Superbowl."

A breath was sucked in by every single person in the room. Now, they knew the amount of pressure their Coach was in. It was make it or break it for these guys. They either won, or lost everything they had.

The screaming dialed down. And all of the sudden, the doors were opened, revealing the three guys that were crucial to this team. I rose to my feet and stepped away from the center of the room, so I wouldn't have to be at middle of this discussion.

Ashton stepped forward and flipped the chair that I was just sat in, so that he could swing one leg over and sit calmly, yet have the upper-hand. "Has Layla spoken to you?"

No one dared to speak a word, so I spoke up for the team, and for myself, "Yes, I did."

"Great," Ashton nodded and crossed his arms over the back of the chair, lowering his defense, something you should never do in this business. That's when you know something was going to go down. "I hope you understand that this is not due to your abilities, yet to my dreams."

"What about our dreams?" Luke said, a hopeful tone in his voice as it became curious to him the reason why Ashton did this.

"They will continue," Ashton nodded, "just not under my supervision."

"Thats ridiculous, Ashton, even for you." Michael stood up and rebelled, rolling his eyes. Ashton and Michael had never gotten along, they are always complaining about each other, but they need each other.

Ashton stood up with Michael and they got up close and personal.of course, that was until Ashton responded loudly, making Michael stumble back, due to the push Ashton decided to impose on him, "Well, every single one of you is going to have to fucking deal with it."

Luke stood up and ran off into the next room, shutting the door behind him. He had gone to the kitchen, and Michael was already on his way to go make him feel better, but I sprinted towards Michael and stopped him, "Let me try."

Michael was hesitant, but then he sighed, "It's the least I can do. "