Back to the Stone Age

"Now please can someone tell me where the heck are we and where is our boat!! ", asked Jane.

"Well, I can only answer one of your questions Jane", replied Liam and then pointed towards the edge of the ocean and said, "There's our boat, or what's left of it".

Indeed he was right. The teenagers turned around to find their boat, half-submerged in the salty waters, some of its parts hanging like a loose thread. It was broken and obviously beyond repair. Even their backpacks could not be seen anywhere, one could only guess that they were lost in the ocean forever.

"Oh my God", exclaimed Sam.

"That doesn't even look like a boat", said Billy.

"Yeah, it's just a pile of logs", said Julie.

"So, what are we going to do now?", asked Jane. "It's getting dark".

"Hold on a second", Liam said and then he ran towards the boat. Then he hunched over it, rummaged through some of the wood, and came back holding some stuff.

'What's all this?", asked Sam.

"The waterproof box was somewhat ok, but the water did enter. The boat company had provided us with some emergency supplies, so I went to bring them. Here are some soggy biscuits and chips", he said and held up two flattened chips packets, and four almost smushed biscuit packets. 

"How are we going to survive with this?", said Jane in panic.

"I never said we would", replied Liam. "It's just for the night, we will have to figure out something tomorrow".

"What's that?", asked Julie, pointing to a piece of paper inside a clear sealed polythene in Liam's hand.

"Umm...I don't know, I guess, it's some sort of a manual, or a map maybe", he said.

"We can see that later", said Billy hastily, "first of all, we need to light a fire, it's almost dark and this place is about to freeze, and our clothes are still wet".

"We need to look for some wood, to light a fire", said Sam.

"Yes, but it's too late to go to the forest, and where can we find dry wood?", said Julie.

"What about the boat?", said Jane.

"What about it?", asked Julie confused.

"We can use its wood", she replied.

"Are you stupid Jane!", said Billy irritably, "the boat's a property of the ocean now, it's skinny wet, like everything else, it would never catch a fire!"

"Alright no need to shout at me!", Jane replied scowling. "I have never been in a more messy situation and I don't know what to think!"

"You are saying like, we have experienced such thing!", replied Sam.

"This makes me regret, why I never watched Man Vs Wild", Liam said.

"I think, we need to go to the forest, at least on the edge, let's see if we can find, some small trees or dry leaves or bark, something like that.", said Billy.

"I am coming with you", said Liam. "The girls can stay back."

At this Samantha gave him an offended look and said, "Why, because we are women? Too sexist Smith!", she said.

"I didn't mean like that!", he said.

"Yes, you should go alone", said Julie, "It's an unknown Island, we should stay safe, the danger always crawls in the night".