Chapter 4|Why Love Them?

I woke up and yawned. When I turned around at the window, I saw the moonlit penetrating.

I slept early, so it's just normal to wake up at this time around. I stood up and fixed my bed. I'm hungry, so I decided to eat dinner outside.

But when I reached the dining hall, I saw my father and brothers eating at the table. They suddenly turned to me.

"Finally, you have to eat with us, Ava." The other brother said. Does that mean Ava doesn't eat with them?

But why?

I didn't answer them and just sat on the other side of the table, away from the twins.

The food tasted good, but I feel like choking from their gazes.

"Tomorrow, we are going to the ball hosted by the crown prince. Do you want to come, Ava?"

My father asked. If it's the crown prince, then it must be the male lead. Do I really want to see the characters right now?

But I might see Zeke there so it's worth a try.

"I would like to," I replied. I saw both of them look at me, surprised.

"What's the problem?"

As I can remember, Ava isn't materialistic and she didn't really like the idea of going out, so she has simple ones in her closet.

"Unfortunately, I don't have an appropriate dress," I responded.

"I will ask the tailor to make you one immediately. " Father answered as he looked at me with surprise etched on his face.

After I ate, I went back to my room and found a treasure. Fortunately, Ava loved reading romance, so she has hidden two or three books below her bed.

"The Marquis's first love."

That's the title. I know some book titles may sound cringe, but their stories might be okay, so I will try them first.

Like they said, "Don't judge a book by its cover!"

.

.

.

Tonight, I had a bizarre dream. A girl that looks like me was lying down on a pond of water. Her black hair and purple eyes looked exactly like mine.

"Ava..."

She turned her head to me and smiled very sweetly. "Please take care of my family." She said as she looked at the night sky above her.

"Why do you love them when they never paid attention to you?" I asked.

"They did. But I refused to accept it since I didn't want to seem weak in front of them. And honestly, I regret it." She giggled but you can notice the pain in her eyes.

"I won't promise anything but I would try," I replied.

"They will surely love you." The sorrow in her voice was very noticeable.

Doesn't she hate me for taking the life she was supposed to live?
.

.

.

When I woke up, there were no maids visible.

When I went out of my room, a maid was waiting for me at my door.

"My lady, the duke requested your presence." I nodded and followed her.

She led me to a round table with a parasol in the garden. There, father and brothers were sitting. But there was no extra chair for me.

Are they expecting me to sit on the floor or stand up? The maid left.

Not having any idea what to do, I sat on the ground. I saw their eyes widen.

Blake stood up and lifted me like a bride.

Wait, what? Was I not supposed to sit here...? Then do I stand?

"Ava, what are you doing?" This is so embarrassing." Where am I supposed to sit then?" I asked.

"Little kids sit on their dad's lap, okay?"

Is he kidding me? No way in hell...

He walked towards Father and placed me on his lap.

Oh god... he's glare is so scary... I shouldn't move. I'm just a statue...

"What are you waiting for?" Father asked." Huh?" I asked him back as I turned my head towards him.

"Eat." He commanded. I immediately nodded and picked some blueberries.

I also ate some strawberry cheesecake.

Unexpectedly, I heard him chuckle, so I accidentally spat out my food.

"You eat so much that's why your cheeks kept getting rounder and rounder."

E-excuse me?! Are you calling me fat you old child-ignoring man!

I also noticed the twins laughing as they pointed their hands at me

." you're...too...chubby A-ava...!" They both said as they struggled from laughing too much.

I glared at them so they stopped. I felt Father carry me and hugged me gently with those big hands of him.

"I've been waiting for this, Ava...The time you will finally accept us." He whispered to my ear as he tightened his hug.

Several hours passed, and finally, the ball is about to begin, so I wore the dress Father personally got tailored just for me.

In addition to Ava's elegance, she is also pretty. You wouldn't assume that she wasn't a part of the novel.

I bet she's even prettier than the heroine in real life!