A Wish

Douma. The day has passed, and the sky's darkened. The sunlight won't burn me, so I'm walking. No where particular, I'm just walking anywhere to pass time.

My hunger has been satisfied with the meal I had earlier. Could have been better, but I'll take it.

Kotoha... She's been looking more tense as the days go on, and I haven't figured out why yet.

I understand stand that this shouldn't bother me, but seeing her like this... It makes things feel uneven.

I keep thinking that she'll tell me eventually, but I might have to ask her about it myself.

The way she looks over her shoulder thinking I'm not going to notice is happening too often for me not to take note of.

Walking in thought, I hadn't realized that I'm in front of Kotoha's door. I don't want to bother her, but the urge to see her says otherwise.

*Knock knock*

Geez, I still have the chance to leave and pretend this never happened. If I leave right now... She still hasn't answered the door, maybe she's sleeping, I'll just see her tomorrow!

"Douma-sama?" Looking up, I see the door opened Kotoha standing there, baby Inosuke in her arms sleeping.

"Ah... Kotoha..." She just had to arrive during my decision crisis.

"Is something wrong, Douma-sama?" She walked closer, her eyes full of curiosity and adoration.

"I, wished to speak to you," I put my fan to my mouth, hiding the lower half of my face.

"Ah, of course," She said. "Um, I was about to walk outside, though. Would you like to come with me?" She smiled awkwardly.

"Yes, I would like that." I replied. We began to walk together. Surprisingly, she wasn't headed to the garden but rather an open field.

"Douma-sama, what did you want to talk about?" She asked, looking at the starry night.

"... "

She looked at me patiently before sitting down on the grass, Inosuke in her lap sleeping soundly.

"Come, sit down with me." She used one hand to pat the ground next to her, to which I sat down.

She looked at the sky again, as if waiting for something. I took a breath.

"In all honesty, I just wanted to see you." I said, too, looking at the stars.

Kotoha turned her head slightly to look at me before smiling and looking at the sky again.

A couple of shooting stars bolted in the sky, and she gasped.

"Make a wish!" She said and closed her eyes tightly before all of the stars could disappear.

She opened her eyes before the stars had fully disappeared and just enjoyed the sight above.

"What did you wish for, Kotoha?" I asked her. She shook her head.

"I can't say it, or it will not come true." She smiled sadly.

"What makes you think that?" I rested my head on my hand.

"The last time I said what I wished, it didn't come true." Kotoha looked at the sleeping baby she held with sad eyes. As if guilt was eating her away.

"I see..." I reached to touch her hair, but retracted my hand back to my side.

"Did you make a wish?" Kotoha asked me, suddenly diverting her attention to me.

"I didn't have enough time. But next time, I'll be sure to make a wish." I promised her, to which Kotoha looked lost in thought for a second.

"What would you have wished for?"

I looked at the night sky, as if waiting for another shooting star to come around. But it didn't. Now that I thought about it, I didn't know what I wanted. As a Demon, I thought I knew, but with Kotoha here... I didn't know how to answer that.

"I would have wished... I enjoyed the simple pleasures when I had the chance." I wish I had met Kotoha before I was a Demon, when I could be in the sun. When I could be in the sun, with her.

"Well, we have time." Kotoha leaned her head on me as we continued looking at the starry night sky.