Chapter 5

While most soldiers had either escaped or been killed due to the monster that was let loose around the entire army, some remained inside the building either unable to move or hiding away. This included Pat and Paul, who had heard the alarm but due the fact Paul was temporarily immobile due to getting ill earlier on, Pat didn't want to carry around pure dead weight and have a higher chance of being caught by him.

Pat gulped as he felt a sweat droplet travel down his temple, making sure he had the best gun he could get in that office. He wanted to have some protection, he had heard gunfire earlier but he hoped that they had just missed and that he could be put down through gunfire, or at least immobilised so they could get him back in the chamber to research further.

He couldn't be invulnerable, he just couldn't be. He had hoped that the members in the room had escaped, he assumed they'd have injuries but he just didn't want them dead.

One of the pros he listed off was less death of soldiers during war, but he didn't list a con. This con being that soldiers could die from his own two "hands". Could he even call them hands? That transformation, the mutation... they completely ruined his hands, the bone and the muscle. Then again it had done that to his entire body, like his spine, his rib cage, his jaw.

Remembering it, it would make any normal person sick to their stomach, especially with the crunches. However, Pat had a better stomach than others. Paul did have more issues with it however, which is probably why he lost all the contents from his meal that day. Pat did feel slightly nauseous, however he didn't want to hurl. Besides, he didn't want to.

He shook his head a bit, like that was going to help with the feeling as he cocked the gun, it was loaded and hopefully, it didn't decide to jam and cause him to be left helpless and/or dead. He turned his head to Paul, who was holding the bridge of his nose, rubbing it as he slowly groaned. He felt dehydrated, since when his body ran out of food to get rid of, it turned to getting rid of whatever drink he had. "Fuck.." he muttered, annoyed as he kept his eyes closed.

Pat sighed as he stood up, holding the gun firstly with two hands before he switched it to his right, he patted Paul on the shoulder to grab his attention. "Come on, we can't sit around. We have to evacuate." Pat said, he couldn't give a usual smile or reassurement, this was a dire situation and they needed to leave right then and there. They couldn't wait.

While going out could cause their death, it wasn't a complete guarantee. They could have a chance to get out without running into him which was the best they could hope for. If they stayed, they'd more than likely die through Tord finding them in the room. He did have heightened senses, especially if he was suspecting that more were in the building. That's from what they knew though, about how the prototype acted.

Paul opened his singular, good eye as he looked at Pat and huffed, pressing his palms on his knees before coming to a stand. "Alright.." He mumbled, stretching slightly. "Don't you want to bring a gun?" Pat asked, though it did sound more rhetorical than like a legitimate question.

Paul looked at him, blinking before gesturing to the wall full of weapons momentarily, as if he was dumbfounded. "Do you really think I'm gonna go out with no gun?" He asked, which made Pat roll his eyes however, not in the mood. "Just grab one, alright?" Paul trudged past him, grabbing one off the wall and turning. "Who's going out first?"

"What?" Pat asked, cocking a brow at Paul who seemed like he was silently judging him. He repeated himself. "Who's going out first?" He paused, waiting for a response which Pat didn't give. He let out a huff before further explaining. "Outside the room? Which one of us is opening the door?" Pat seemed to have it click. He wondered why he asked that at first before realising. Tord could easily see whoever opened the door and go after the first person who did, if he was there. If it was Pat, he'd need to be on immediate guard, same went for Paul.