Act 5-9 cheek to cheek

The smell of diesel fuel hits me the second I step off of the bus and a stiff breeze does a nice job of messing up my hair, which only renders the ten minutes I spent combing it out and fighting that single annoying lock of hair pointless. It's only six o' clock and it's already begun to get dark, mostly due to the overcast weather; hopefully it won't be raining by the time I'm heading home tonight.

I check my phone once again, waiting for any updates from Akira, who only got off work an hour ago. Lilly and Hanako have also gone silent - Hanako stayed after class to make up a quiz and Lilly is going to be with her, but that should have been over and done with by now. I had to take an early bus by myself since neither of those two were responding and I didn't want to be late.

The jazz club isn't that far away at any rate, and it's not like I'll be kicked out while waiting for someone -- not that's a very exclusive club in the first place. I have no idea when Mr. Satou is going to show up, hopefully some time after I've been able to get settled in with everyone else. Ever since our last meeting, I have no idea at all of what to expect, especially with how abruptly he decided to cut things off.

Thinking back on it, I'm a little ashamed that I wasn't able to prepare more for her birthday. The most I could get her for a present is a pair of earrings, although they're nothing too fancy or expensive and even that took an entire day of wracking my brain over, considering the fact that she doesn't seem to like much jewelry aside from earrings. On top of that, I've never seen her wear much other than a couple of different sets.

I get the impression that Akira is going to be an increasingly expensive girl to shop for - she's modest, definitely, but there's no getting rid of that wealthy upbringing, and it doesn't help that she doesn't have very wide-reaching preferences when it comes to gifts. Alcohol seems to work, at least.

Another regret of mine is that I couldn't wear my suit today, seeing as how it's now at the cleaners after being worn multiple times without rest. Hopefully some slacks and a dress shirt will get me under Mr. Satou's radar.

By the time I'm turning the block, I can feel my phone vibrating in my pocket, and a glance at the caller ID reveals that it's the call I've been waiting for.

"Hey birthday girl, what's going on?" I greet upon flipping the plastic slab open.

There's a short pause for the sound of an engine being started. "Nothing much, I just got a call from Lilly and Hanako saying that the incoming bus broke down. I've gotta go pick them up otherwise they'll be out there for an hour."

Oh. Well, that explains a bit, I suppose. "Alright. Anything you need me to do?"

"Yeah, could you go meet the old man at the jazz club and tell him what's going on?" She asks. Her words are rushed and even though she's trying to sound calm, I can tell that she's annoyed.

"I could do that, sure." I reply, glancing over the group of people in front of me to see the jazz club drawing closer with each step. "Is everything alright? You seem kinda... troubled."

She lets out a small sigh. "Oh, no, it's gonna be fine. I just didn't get a lot of sleep last night." Akira scoffs, pausing once again while the clicking of a turn signal fills the silence. "It's just, I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to deal with my dad tonight."

"You don't even want him at your birthday?" I ask.

"Well, no, I want him there, I just don't want any of the crap I'm sure he's gonna give me." She replies in a dull tone.

I shake my head, still trying to think of how I'm going to handle this. "I understand. I'll try and keep him busy until then. Drive safe."

"Mhm. Sorry that I've gotta leave you alone with him." She says with genuine empathy. "I'll try and make it back as soon as possible. Later."