Act 2-4 A Spark Ignited

7:58 A.M.

Given that it's a Saturday morning, normally this would be a time I'd dread waking up around. But today is different - I feel anxious, like a child who can't wait for the day to change to December 25th so they can wake their parents up at 12:01, thinking it'll work.

Maybe I'm not that excited, but I'm still itching to get to the destination. It doesn't help that the past few days have sped by so quickly, with nothing to speak of ever since I met Akira again.

The itch could very well be the new suit I've decided to wear for the occasion as well. I'm thinking I should have at least gotten it dry cleaned before I hopped in this morning.

A sea of green and brown scrolls by the window as Mutou and I drive to a city about ninety minutes away from Yamaku, the sound of an early-morning news station blending with purr of the small hybrid engine.

"Looking forward to it?" the man in the driver seat asks.

Whereas I've thrown on what might be the most professional outfit I've ever work; Mutou has decided to attend in his usual attire. That iconic brown duster, paired with a pair of black slacks and a dress shirt of the same color. Not much coordination there, but he never appeared to be the type to worry about such things - especially since it seems like he never combs his hair. Or shaves more than once a week.

"Yeah." I reply, eyeballing the program in my hands once more.

It's a two-day event, but we've only made time to go for a few hours today. Most of the events, however, seem like they'd be above the level of even a hardened college student.

A trip to the 11th dimension? Supergravity? Those sound like concepts that could be the title of a sci-fi book, and yet at 11:00 A.M there's going to be a published theoretical physicist giving an hour-long lecture over the topics.

I recognize a few of these subjects, but even then I only have a vague knowledge of them. Global Warming is something I think I know enough about to have an opinion on, but I'm sure the lecture about it is just going to turn my brain and everything I know inside out.

But for every subject I think I understand; there's at least three that elude my understanding altogether.

"What's a 'Higgs Boson?'" I ask aloud, tilting my head in confusion.

For some strange reason; my vision transitions from the sight of a beautiful morning countryside to a slideshow of terror as the sound of screeching brakes fills my ears.

Wait, no, whyAREWESTOPPINGTHECAR?!

"The Higgs Boson is a theoretical particle that..." Mutou calls out, having to yell over the sound of his tires dragging across the asphalt, right there in the middle of the highway. The wheel jerks back and forth in his hands as the car's steering tries to fight against his absurd commands. At one point he has to yank it off center to keep from slamming into an oncoming truck, not the least bit fazed as a slew of scientific jargon billows from his mouth.

We slow to a sudden halt, almost throwing me into the dashboard before my science teacher turns to me and begins to gesture with his hands. His mouth opens and closes as he tries to find the right words to complete his explanation, most of which has been droned out by the sound of my heart on the verge of exploding.

"...Never mind." he concludes, shaking his head as a sigh escapes his throat.

WHATDOYOUMEANNEVERMIND?!

"We might be here all day if I try to explain that. Let's get to the symposium so you can learn about it from someone with a little more exp-"

For the first time he looks over and sees me clutching my chest, eyes widened in fright.