Act 3-5 Qualifications

The smell of exhaust and the sound of a bustling crowd are my welcoming party as I step off the bus and onto the sidewalk, already wishing I'd dressed a little lighter for my upcoming interview. Thankfully there's a crowd of people on business disembarking with me, so I don't stick out in my black suit.

I reach into my pocket and shuffle around, pulling out a sheet of notebook paper with some directions written on it. It's not very professional, but it works, and that's what matters.

The lab is six blocks from here, and there's nothing but dense crowd between me and the door to what may be a new career for me. I guess this is how I'll be getting my exercise for today, and possibly for the next couple of months if everything goes well.

I wasn't expecting to get the call so soon, considering that I only contacted them the day before. It doesn't seem like it's very difficult to get an interview; all I had to do was give them my name, explain what I was calling about, and when I'd next be available. I suppose Mutou was right about them being understaffed, at any rate.

Maybe Mutou sent in his recommendation as quickly as possible, and he painted me in such an impressive light that they had to have me right then and there. It's been a few days since our talk, so it's possible that he could have rushed it in.

But still, to get the call right after classes? I had only just stepped into the courtyard when my phone started vibrating. At first my heart jumped at the prospect of Akira calling, but then I realized that it would be around six in the morning over there.

It was a number I had never seen in my life before, so there was really only one possibility.

"Is this Hisao Nakai?" a man on the other end asked. The voice didn't seem to have any memorable characteristics; it was like something you'd hear on the intercom at a grocery store.

"This is him." I answered.

"My name is Tetsuo Shuugetsu, head of employee relations at Medivac Corporation. When will you be open for interview?"

At first I wondered why someone so high up would be calling me. Does the guy in charge handle all hiring across the company, or were all of the lower-tiered managers having a day off?

"Right now?" I returned.

"Love the enthusiasm! Today's not a good time for us, though. How about tomorrow?" he had commented, showing a bit of his own dry excitement.

"I can come in after class tomorrow, sir." I replied.

"That should be around three, right? Works for me! I'll be looking forward to it."

And then he hung up without naming a specific time and before I could ask him for directions. I had to go to the library and find a detailed map. I also had hopes that I could squeeze in another conversation with Hanako, but she had already went home for the day.

But still, no specified time? Is he just going to be sitting in his office for the next six hours, ready whenever I am? I don't think that's how things normally work.

Does he just enjoy his job? He seemed rather upbeat about the whole thing. Do they see so little commerce that even the prospect of a new recruit is enough to be excited about? Either way, it doesn't seem that I'll be wasting anyone's time by taking advantage of the opportunity.

Speaking of which, just how much pomp and circumstance is there around someone applying to be a janitor? Should I be wearing a suit? Apparently the rule is to dress one level above the uniform there - what's a tier above a maintenance jumpsuit? A shirt and tie?

I guess it's better to be over-prepared. Hopefully this Shuugetsu guy will be telling me everything I'll want to know; provided I get the position, anyway.