"Beauty and the Beast"

It has always been said that the woods that run through the Northern Kingdom are haunted. The king that once ruled the kingdom had become cursed and was forced to prowl the forests for all eternity. Any who wander into the boundary of the trees can feel the beast's anger and torment. Very few are able to pass through without any harm befalling them. All fear and hate the Black Woods. All except one.

            Faith knew the forest was forbidden, it was an evil place, but she had to get away. The tears wouldn't stop flowing, she felt as if she were drowning in them. Pain and grief overwhelmed her. She paid no attention to where she was going or the fact that it was sunset. She only ran, ran away from her sadness and loneliness, ran away from the memories that plagued her, memories of her mother and sister, memories of their ghostly white faces and empty eyes as they lay on their death beds.

            Why? This question nagged her. Why did they have to leave? I need them! Faith thought. Her breathing was shallow and labored. She slowed and looked around her. It was dark and all she could see was the black outlines of the trees towering above her. She had never been in the forest before but knew the stories all too well. She knew of the beast that haunted the woods and the curse that threatened all who enter. Panic overtook her. She was lost, cold, and alone. Wrapping her cape closely to herself, she folded up into a ball on the frozen ground. The sobs racking her body increased. What am I going to do? What if the beast comes out and kills me?!?! I don't want to die!!!

          Snap! A branch near by snapped and Faith jumped up. She ran as fast as she could away. The beast is following me! It's going to get me! Stumbling over a branch, she began to fall. Right as Faith was about to hit the ground she felt warm arms wrap around her waist pulling her up. He held her gently to his chest and set off toward the town. Faith didn't know who this stranger was or where he was taking her but she felt safe with him. Safety was a feeling that had fled after the deaths of Faith's mother and sister. "Please, I just want to go home." Faith spoke out after fifteen minutes of silent walking. The mystery man didn't say anything just looked at her, his eyes a dark grey. It was too dark to see his features. After another half hour of walking and Faith was able to make out the lights of the village. He brought me home. My guardian angel.

            Invaders. Adam could feel them in his woods. No one usually dared enter here. The few who did and were able to make it through alive were the only ones Adam thought worthy enough to enter. The spell was an unusual one. Adam had studied magic as a child and then again after he was cursed. He could find no cure to this 'punishment'. That malicious witch! There weren't words strong enough to express Adam's contempt for her.

            Looking to the horizon he saw that the sun was on its way down, soon to be gone all together. He knew he would soon return to a fully human form. By the light of day he transforms to a deformed beast, becomes wolfish, with claws and fur. By the cover of night he converts into his handsome human appearance, but no one may see him. All the rules! Wailing reached his ears, pulling him out of his brooding. No one enters my woods! With that thought he headed toward the sound.

            A few minutes after dark descends Adam found the intruder. A little girl that couldn't have been any older then ten was tucked into a ball crying. Surely she has heard the stories. What is she doing so far away from the town all alone? Not one to be moved easily, he decided she needed to learn to stay out of his territory. He started walking toward her when snap! Adam swung his head around to see a deer walking past. When he looked back he noticed the girl had heard the animal as well. She darted away as fast as her little legs could carry her. He decided a little fun wouldn't hurt so he started after her. He almost laughed when he realized she was headed deeper into the forest. Almost. Adam hasn't laughed since that fateful day two hundred and fourty-six years ago.

            A root from the tree nearby was jutting out of the ground and the girl obviously didn't see it. Not that I can blame her. It is very dark out now. At least there are some advantages to this curse also. Right as she began to fall Adam reached and caught her around the waist. Picking her up, he began to walk. Why was he helping her? He never cared about the welfare of others before. But when this little girl looked up at him he couldn't help softening towards her. 

            "Please, I just want to go home." Her small voice broke the silence. He looked down at her. Her wide, piercing, green eyes held sadness and fear causing her to look like a trapped animal, something Adam has seen all too many times. He wanted to protect her. Why? Why should this girl have such an effect on me? She is a mollycoddled child that doesn't understand life. He didn't answer her, simply kept treading through the woods. The town wasn't much further.

            Adam didn't know exactly how much time had passed before they came upon the village because after so long everything becomes molded together and time ceases to matter. He didn't dare go into the town; he didn't belong anywhere near people. He let the girl down but not before she gave him a big hug and thanked him for rescuing her from the evil forest. He never welcomed people's touch but this one time he savored the contact.