Chapter 17.5

The Brown-eyed Girl And Uncertainty

Eight months in and I still haven't heard from Deku. His face I could still remember, yet his voice felt like a ghost to me. I can't help but think of the worst case scenarios.

What if he got so badly injured that it's going to take him years before he comes back? No, that's not possible. Right?

What if he dies? No, that will not happen. Deku is a strong man and I know he's going to make it out alive.. Right?

It has been too long, and so far, no suspicious actions have been executed in this area. Lieutenant Toshinori still comes to check in on me, and he's actually going to come visit me later today. It wouldn't hurt if I ask for an update about Deku, right? Said greenette has been gone for so long. I'd want to know if he's doing well.

But he's a police officer.

Though he would know something. Right?

I remained seated on the bed of my beloved, feeling quite exhausted by cleaning his whole house up. My eyes roamed around until it spotted a piece of paper lying down on the bed beside me.

I decided to read it again.

Taking the paper with both of my hands, I scanned through the letters written on the said object.

September 15,
To Ochaco Uraraka,

It has been quite long since I have sent a letter, I am missing you very much. How have you been? I apologize, I've been out in the field for days now.

So far, I haven't been injured heavily, only a few scratches had been made. Shoji also made it out alive and kicking, he's so awesome. As I expected from the major!

For status update, we have taken down half of the men in the opposing force, and we have scheduled our 2nd wave to be later in the afternoon. I have recovered from the fight completely, and I have requested to fight alongside all the soldiers in my company, to which the general agreed to.

But even if I wanted to get this done..

Ochaco, I want to go home. I'm so tired. I have been getting really gruesome nightmares, some of them I couldn't even bear.

It has gotten so bad to the point where I don't even want to sleep anymore, so it's been a few days since I've hit the bed. I'm so exhausted.

Sending non-commissioned soldiers to war is one thing, but making commissioned officers like me to see combat is a whole different level, I tell you.

I can't stay longer like this, Ochaco. I keep repeating your name, hoping that something good will happen, though I'm kind of losing hope.

But you know what? I'm going to live for you, so please hang on tight.

I'm tired, but I love you.

-Deku

It's now the second of May, and ever since the last letter, I still haven't heard from him. I have grown increasingly worried, it's bad. It's to the point I can't even close my eyes.

I have already seen the soldiers around the town start to retreat to their bases, or homes, or whatever. Even if the war seemed to end, why is my Deku still not around?

Is there an extra special training perhaps?

he's supposed to come here. To home.

You know what? I don't know what goes inside of the military, I will just have to trust my thoughts that Deku will be here safe and sound. But the thing is, I don't know if he's still coming back home, and that thought alone is making my own self shiver. It's awful.