Ch 4:Harsh truths

Felix was not happy with the arrangement. To be fair though the kitsune did have a point bringing in one of the gifted ones, to his home no less would cause a lot of paperwork. On the plus side, she was able to finally get in touch with Naka!

However, it wasn't an uplifting discussion. She didn't realize how bad things were in Konoha until he called her back with news of clan discrimination that was at an all-time high. The only reason why Naka was unable to answer her previous calls was that he was helping Tenko with his case.

"So let me get this straight, the Uchiha clan is currently shoved into a corner of the village and everybody of clan blood was forced into the compound, which led them to plan a coup, and now according to Tenko, his target is planning to have them all killed?!" Mei didn't know exactly what to feel but she was angry beyond belief. She may not like the Uchiha clan due to less than savory practices, but wiping out the entire clan? That was genocide, plain and simple.

"I know, that's not even counting the other stuff this guy has done, Tenko told me that for the first few months he couldn't be near the guy without emptying his stomach because the soul rot is just that bad. Now I got your voicemail two weeks ago so let me get on that." She heard him go through a few things before coming to what he needed "Now you wanted to know about Konoha's Gifted one right?" After her confrontation, she could hear his heavy sigh. "The kid is in bad shape, malnourished, tiny, I'm pretty sure if it weren't for Kurama keeping him alive he would have died from the injuries the villagers have inflicted on him. And before you ask who Kurama is, he's the fox. I know you don't have the best track record when it comes to remembering names. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the only reason the kid hasn't let the tailed one loose is because he doesn't know the reason the villagers hate him." Naka paused to let the info sink in but once it did, corrosive energy started to fill the air. She was so immersed in her anger she missed Felix giving her concerned looks.

"He what?" Her voice was so quiet, she was surprised when Naka answered it instead of asking for a repeat.

"Yeah, apparently it's one of the village's rules regarding the kid, they're not allowed to tell him yet everybody else already knows." His tone was filled with disgust, "Not to mention no one in the clans are allowed to adopt the kid much less interact with him. Hell, not even the people that worked with his parents are! On the account that their enemies will figure it out or some bullcrap like that! Honestly, as if they don't have spies in the village already! I've counted at least three of them but Tenko thinks there may be more." Naka rants.

"Who are his parents?" Mei asks, too calmly. There is a pause over the line as Naka seems to realize something.

" Mei. He has at least one Anbu watching him all the time. It would be a lot more difficult to adopt him than an ordinary child." Naka sounds completely serious, "Not to mention his trust issues, it would be hard getting in close to the kid and I don't just mean physically. However, that would be easy for you. The hard part would be getting him away from the Anbu long enough to ask whether or not he would like to come with you." She can tell he isn't trying to dissuade her but rather warning her of possible threats. Mei huffs.

"Naka, I'll be careful. However, this is the third time I've come across a gifted one, and they are all treated somewhat similarly. As if they are monsters that don't deserve the same respect as everybody else. I know humans in the shinobi world have different ways of treating people '' She got a strange look from Nee when she walked into the room, as neither Felix nor herself had dropped the illusions hiding their true selves. "But surely if they can-'' She cut herself off remembering one particular Konoha shinobi who graduated at five years old and was currently in Anbu. She had to remember that the shinobi villages didn't care about their soldiers beyond using them as weapons.