Run

Her hands shook. The red orange rust covered her hands and the metal felt hot. She lowered her hands and gripped the pipe harder.
He's still breathing.
She realized how easy it was to kill and how many times she wanted it to come to her. Was it easier to keep her here? Was it so hard to grant her that request as they tortured her? As they stripped her of humanity? If she let him go now it would only make it worse for her when he wakes. She cursed, and started down the dark hall. Ending a life would make her just like them.
She looked down at the weapon and wanted to drop it but it was the only thing that could give her a chance out if they come, see him, and find out what happened . She started to run.

The alarm went off,  they must have found the man on the ground and she started at a sprint. She knew little of the building, only her own cell and the halls when they transferred her. But she knew she had to go down to the first floor. The alarm shut off and she heard the men behind her on her track. But the halls seemed endless since the darkness made it difficult to navigate. At the turn of the corner she saw a light hung up at the end of the hall and ran toward it, unhinged it's post and held it close. She had a lantern and the warmth tingled her fingers and face. She ran door to door holding up the lantern to find the staircase. The men behind her grew lounder and fear rose in her. She had to hurry.
Stairs. She found it.

Short breaths, long strides, burning lungs. she couldn't stop. Once she hit the ground floor it was just as dark. The room was pitch black and running was difficult. No windows or cracks of light.
What time is it? She wondered.
Her wrists ached from the pipe and lantern's weight. Her muscles and bone were weak and bare. Blisters peeled at her wrists but she's been careful about them, ignoring them, letting them heal despite the burn and constant itch. There's a certain will power to that and she's been practicing.
She held on to the the light even though it was heavy. The lantern was running low on fuel but she craved it's warmth and light.
Run. She ran. Keep running.
She continued to run, but she had no idea where to but away. They'd find her soon enough if she stopped for even a second.
Run. She couldn't stop now.
Run.
She turned the corner from the hall she was in, and a vast dark room appeared with a door across the room. The place was familiar. The room with a thousand smiles. She scoffed at her ignorance. It was the first room she saw the day they took her. The one she walked in herself. They had transfered her back one station,  but why? No time to wonder. The door was the one she saw Gabe go in, or out of,  she wasn't sure. She ran across the room which felt like minutes to cross, and almost slammed against the door, trying to turn the cold knob. She felt that once she came out she'd find Gabe, standing there with open arms, waiting to bring her to safety, bring her home. Perfect and unharmed. It opened to her luck and air scraped her skin and bone, but it was nothing compared to what she's known. Opening her eyes, no Gabe. No arms of welcome. Idiot, she thought. Gabe's gone. She saw with her own eyes.
Run.
She looked about but it was too dark. She reached her arm out, stepping forward, a cold wall hit her hand. For a moment fear took hold. Was this another room? Another trick? She followed the wall with the lantern and the expanse to the right and left was an unending darkness. Her mind was playing tricks. She was out side, she felt it, smelled the city. It was night and she was in an alley. She didn't understand. She figured she was held outside of the city, underground where no one could find her. But she knew the city's stench and felt the thick air against her with the cold. She brushed the thought away. She closed the door and jammed the pipe in the handle. Suddenly she heard their footsteps on the other side.
Bang! The door began to shake from their pounding and anger. They said nothing, but they were angry. Real angry.
She held her breath, she was still a few yards away.
The door seemed to hold another minute or two. She had to think fast, but there weren't many options left. She knocked one down hard with the pipe but this was five by their footsteps, or even 6. They'd out run her for sure. Surround her in seconds and punish her for it.  She could find a high ledge and jump. She could break the lanterns glass and take a shard to end it all. Coward. That word and his voice echoed in her head. Or, she could plead mercy. She could surrender before it was worse. She could say she'll never do it again. That she's lost and scared and want to go home to them. Coward.
This isn't your home. They've almost drove her crazy. Almost made her believe things they wanted her to believe.

She held the lantern close to her for the last inklings of warmth. She stood on the iced ground with her bare feet, jumping from one foot to the other. She decided the warmth and light wasn't worth it anymore.  The rusted pipe was barely holding up. She threw the lantern down the street, diminishing the last of the light. She ran in the other direction guiding herself with the wall, hiding in the shadows of the dark. She turned another corner, practically falling in, and held her breath.  The pipe gave in to the force on the other side. The door flew open. She couldn't see them in the dark, she didn't want to, because that meant they couldn't see her either. She only saw two lanterns. Darkness was on her side for the first time she thought. Silence was all around now only blemished by her rapid heartbeat. She trembled and numbness bit her feet and hands. The seconds grew long, but they soon ran blindly toward the lanterns crashing sound. Their footsteps receded in earshot, and she ran with no moments thought. She had to run. Now or never.
Gabe ran.
Run.
Gabe.
Run.
Run.
She couldn't think of anything else.
Run.