Playing with fire

Color Heart shows which Mum (💜) is for Mina (💛) is for Billie :)

10 years later...
Cordelia's POV
  I had magic?! I had just found a letter from that Michael guy I never met to my Mum (💜) Apparently I had powerful magic and I needed to be careful.

  I lit a candle in my room and focused on the flame, when I closed my eyes, it blew out.

  "Girls we're home!" Mums shouted from downstairs. They had both worked really hard since the apocalypse had finished, three years ago and I was proud of them. That didn't change that fact I was lied to.

  "Y/n's not home," I said, hugging them both.
  "Where is she?" Mum (💜) asked.
  "I think she's on a date," I smirked at Mum (💛).
  "WHAT?! WITH WHO?!"Mum (💜) shouted to no one.
  "Can't tell you. I promised I wouldn't,"
  "That's my girl," Mum (💛) smiled.

  We had tea, just the three of us and y/n came in the door around 8pm.
"Where were you?" Mum (💜) interrogated her.
"Out," she grinned at me and went upstairs. I got the message and followed her into her room.

"Did you have fun, y/n?" I asked, waiting to hear all about her date.
"Yes, Delia," she smiled, pulling me into a hug and tickling me.

"STOP!" I was shouting through laughs but she kept going. Once she finally released me, I sat on her lap and played with her hair as she told me about her night.

"Mum (💜) wasn't impressed you were on a date," I giggled.
"Well, Mum (💜) has to accept I'm 24 and can have a life," she replied, scrolling through pictures on her phone. She had been seeing this girl before the apocalypse and they had found each other again. I thought it was cute and she was nice but mums had no idea she was even still alive.

"Y/n?"
"Hmm?"
"Do you believe in magic?"
"Yes,"
"I have it," I whispered, lighting another candle and showing her.
"Delia, you can't show anyone that, OK?"
"Why?"
"I'm not how mums will react and I want you to be safe,"
"OK,"

"Right, I think it's bedtime for you, it's nine and you have school tomorrow,"

I got my pyjamas on and said goodnight to Mums and y/n came into my room to tuck me in.

"I love you, Delia, more than anyone in the world"
"More than Mum (💛) loves the fridge?"
"Yes and you're not allowed to call it the fridge remember? Apparently he's called James," she laughed with me.

"Goodnight, pumpkin," she whispered and kissed my forehead.
"Night y/n," and then she left.

When I heard everyone go to bed, I got up and started to light candles again, to see what I could do. I managed to hold it at one point without it burning me, but then I got too excited and it burned out.

I held it again and found I could control the intensity and shape of the flame. I couldn't believe I hadn't been told about this before, it was so fun.

I played with the fire until everyone was starting to wake up the next morning and it was time for school. I hadn't slept at all and I was so tired, I slept through Maths. I hate maths. It just doesn't make any sense. I was given detention during lunchtime for "disrespect" but I hadn't meant to, it just happened.

I wondered if there was a school for people who had magic and thought that would be cool but then I gave up on my idea.