What's Love Got to do with it

After a few days, Carter didn't approach me. Leaving me alone.

Surprisingly, it was really quiet without him. Even if we only talked for a day, I missed him.

The day went on alone. Nobody waited for me in front of my cell, at the end of the washrooms, I ate alone, walked alone, cleaned alone, and all this loneliness got to me. Then it came to me, maybe, since I finally got a chance to talk and know somebody, I've managed to get used to human contact and now, I miss it.

I mentally slap myself for thinking that. How could I, a notorious hacker, forever isolated and alone, so easily get comfortable with someone I just met. It's unheard of.

It was now 'free time'. During this time, everyone is put into a padded, locked and heavily guarded room. We each are given one thing of our choice for a meer half and hour. Then we go back to chores. Most would request cards or video games, books even but me, I chose the Walkman. Since being known as I am, I am not allowed to use any technology of any sort, the walkman is as an exception. It cannot connect to the internet, nor download music, it can't play games or anything really, just play music from a tape. And every 'free time' that's all I do.

With Walkman in hand, I head for my usual, lone corner in the room. Dragging a chair behind me. I toss the chair, making a loud noise as it hits the corners of the walls. I sit myself down and plug my headphones into the device. I close my eyes and take in deep breaths.

In.

Out.

I count my breaths each time, using them to approximately tell time.

I continue for a few more breaths. But then I feel a tiny tap on my shoulder.

"Hello?" asks the person that tapped me.

I keep my eyes closed and continue counting in my head.

I feel the tap again, this time on my hands.

"Hi." said the voice.

Eyes still shut, I continue counting.

"Can you open your eyes?" asks the voice, I can hear the persistence in his voice.

"Why?"

"Because."

I feel a hand close to my cheek.

"Because...?"

"Your eyes..." he starts. "they..."

He stops and let's out a sigh.

"Well this is embarrassing to admit..."

"Hmm?" that's all I can think of to reply.

"I think your eyes are really beautiful." the voice rushes through his mouth.

"Please, plenty of girls have brown eyes." I shove off the compliment.

"C'mon, I've said enough. Open your eyes."

All along I thought this voice belonged to Carter. And I was more or less happy he was talking to me again. But all these compliments, the embarrassment I hear in his voice makes me wonder if it is him.

I grab his hand that is poking my cheek and try to crush it with all my force. Unfortunately for me, I have very little force.

I open my eyes and scrowl at the boy smiling at me.

"I've always been such a smooth talker." he chuckles.

It was Carter after all. I let go of his hand and pull out my headphones, just as I had when we first met.

"In your dreams."

"You know, today is my birthday." Carter hinted. "I wanted to know if, ya know, you wanted to see me in my birthday suit."

"Happy birthday." I mutter, I may be rude but I'm not not polite. Wait, what? How does that make any sense, I think to myself.

"What was that?" Carter teases and interupts my thoughts. "Can you say that again? But make sure it's loud this time so everyone can hear."

"Uh, how about nu?" 

"C'mon, pleease?" He pleads, also trying to make sad puppy dog eyes. 

"Hey, about the eyes things. Wha-" He cuts me off as I try to change the subject.

"That was just to get you to open your eyes." He says casually. Really out of character. "I know my ways around girls."

I cough. "Player." And cough again.

"Hey! It's not like that! I have three sisters at home!" He defends himself.

"So the man finally reveals a bit of his past." I exclaim. 

"What? I try not to stray too far into the past."

"Same, but it always catches up."

"Not if you don't let it." 

"Well, explain to me every step of not letting the past catch up with you." I shout at him, sacasm dripping in every word and no longer caring about what anyone else thinks. Ever since Carter has come I have been going insane. Since the say I got here I've been trying to keep a low profile, no friends, no drama, stay clean and just get go of here as soon as possible. When he's finally around, I regret I ever wished him around me.

"What has the past ever done to you?" Carter shouts. It's the first time I've ever heard him shout, his calmness was all run out. I've run it dry, but it's not the first time I've done that to someone. "What happened to you that was so terrible compare to everyone else here?! I've talked to every single person here and they have had their troubles, but the thing is, they've talked about it and vented. Why can't you?!"

I stare at him speechless. I don't know what to do anymore. All I think of is to put in my headphones, and I do so while Carter looks down on me and shakes his head. 

"I expected so much more from you..." and he walks off with everyone still staring.

"How much could you expect... from me..." I whisper.

I close my eyes again and get lost in the music of Fall Out Boy.

'Did he really think he could fix me?' were my last thoughts. 'Is that the only reason he talked to me?' The last question haunts me.

Authors Blah: to whom ever it may concern, ahem, this chapter was a huge struggle. *glares at certain friends that are probably reading this and rushed me to publish* Schools started up again (ugh first day today) and I hope I can keep up once a week posted, no more early posts im afraid. SORRYYYYY

P.S. Carter and Lena's ship name is Carna, Thanks Bread_is_pain!