Chapter sixteen

Cassandra Brown had been in hiding ever since the man that murdered her child’s father got off scot-free. She watched as the ruthless killer known to the neighborhood as MeloDrama viciously murder her son’s father in broad daylight in front of her and her baby.

Cassandra knew she could never testify in open court. Drama had too many people on his payroll that lived to close to her and her family. She gave a statement but when the detectives on the case tried to pressure her into testifying, she recanted. She couldn’t go through with it. She couldn’t let her baby boy lose both parents.

She had nightmares about that day every night. She couldn’t sleep. She eventually moved when she found out that Drama was on the loose. She couldn’t afford to go far. Jahiem was the one that provided for them through his hustling. When Jahiem came home one day and said he had to lay low, Cassandra just thought he got into some silly disagreement with a rival dealer.

Cassandra never knew Jahiem to be scared of anyone but he definitely was the night he came and said he had to stay out of sight. Cassandra didn’t let it faze her at first but Jahiem really started being on some paranoid trip. He wouldn’t leave the house at all, for any reason, not even to get a quart of milk.

Cassandra’s mother’s birthday was coming up and Jahiem had promised her long time ago he was going. Jahiem kept telling her about the beef he had in the streets and that he couldn’t be seen outside. Cassandra was fed up with the bullshit. It had been weeks and nothing had happened. Cassandra was now thinking Jahiem was just being silly and paranoid. Sure she heard of this MeloDrama character but it was all talk, gossip. Nobody could confirm or deny.

Cassandra had put her foot down that day and made the biggest mistake of her life. She had seen the Denali pull up as she was still arguing with Jahiem about his promise to see her mother.  Jahiem was sweating like crazy trying to get off the block.

She saw the notorious Drama come out of the Denali. At first she only knew his name not his face but there was no mistaken this man was the infamous MeloDrama.

“What’s up, nigga?” Cassandra heard Drama said before hitting Jahiem upside the head with the weapon he was holding.

Cassandra almost had a heart attack when Drama pointed the gun at her.

“Shut up, bitch,” she heard the warning Drama made. “That nigga told you he couldn’t be outside, didn’t he?”

“Didn’t he?” Drama had asked her again after he kicked Jahiem who was still on the ground.

Cassandra tried to tell Drama that it was her mother’s birthday.

“I don’t give a fuck if it’s Jesus’ birthday,” Drama emphasized by kicking Jahiem again. “I told him the next time I see him on the street, I would kill him.”

Cassandra begged for her life and the life of her baby’s father who was at the mercy of a mad gunman.

“I made a promise,” was the last words she heard Drama say before he pulled the trigger ending the life of the only man she ever loved. “Drama never breaks a promise.”

Cassandra heard another man saying “Let’s go” then she heard her baby crying hysterically. But she was frozen as she watched her son’s father’s killer hop back into the Denali and drive off like he just dropped off a newspaper.

Cassandra’s life was forever changed that day and she couldn’t go back. Everybody knew who killed the love of her life and nobody was going to say nothing. Hell, Cassandra couldn’t even say anything. She had to live with the fact Drama got away with taking another life.