Chapter Fifteen

Two weeks later

“Watsup, Gabe?” Rhyn’s familiar voice interrupted Gabe’s concentration.

“You’re forbidden from entering, Rhyn.”

“Sure, Gabe.”

Gabriel looked up from his stance peering into the murky Lake of Souls. The half-demon appeared unconcerned about sliding through the barrier Gabe had been working hard to patch up.  Rhyn looked happy and healthy, the opposite of how Gabe felt.

“You clean up good,” he said. “You know I can claim your – “

“But you won’t.  I came to see how my only friend is doing,” Rhyn said. “You need help killing demons?”

“I recalled all the assassins and put a hold on all soul collections for a week or so,” Gabe answered. “The queue to get in here is longer than you’d guess.”

“We’re almost done exterminating the castle.  I can send some help your way.”

“I imagine you have your hands full dealing with the Immortals.”

“Nothing I can’t handle.  I have Kiki, Tamer, and Erik on lockdown.  A week without food, and they’re happy to help.  Kiki is running most things, until I figure them out.”

“Sounds like it’s going well,” Gabe said, truly pleased to see his friend, despite the poor timing. “How’s Katie?”

A small smile crossed Rhyn’s face, answering Gabe’s question without words.

“Then everything is going well.  Good for you, Rhyn.” He couldn’t help but feel envious of his friend, who wasn’t trapped in a world where he didn’t belong, fighting demons.

“Katie sent these back with me,” Rhyn said and held out a familiar necklace. “We’re still working with Hannah.  She’s in denial about everything.  I almost pity the girl.”

Gabe took the necklace, looking at the two emeralds on the black leather-like cord.  He’d missed his necklace after eons wearing it.  He’d missed his mother and baby brother.  He squeezed them in his hand in the only hug he could give his dead family.

“We’re twins, now, though I think you liked your family,” Rhyn said and pulled free an emerald on a chain around his neck.

“You’re all the family I got now.  I got a long way to go to figure out how to be a proper Death,” Gabe said, looking again at the lake.

“You hear from her?”

“No. I don’t expect to.  I should’ve sent someone after her, but … “ Gabe met Rhyn’s gaze and managed a smile.  The half-demon’s sharp silver gaze missed nothing, even how unhappy Gabe really was.

“You never stopped loving her,” Rhyn said.

“I tried.”

“Yeah, you’re fucked.  Gods know I tried not to fall for Katie.”

“Appreciate the pep talk,” Gabe said drily. “I did tell you I can legally claim your soul if you come here, didn’t I?”

“Why don’t you come up for air sometime?” Rhyn asked, ignoring him. “Katie and Toby will be glad to see you, and you can scare the shit out of Tamer.  It’ll be fun.”

“I’d like that.  I have to fix this first,” Gabe said and motioned to the Lake.

“What’s wrong?”

Gabe stepped closer to the Lake.  Even through the black water, he could see the green souls at the bottom. They glimmered faintly, like lights shrouded by fog.

“They’re moving,” he said. “They shouldn’t be.  I heard a story once about the Army of Souls.  I’m wondering if they are what Darkyn was after, not killing Death.”

“Never heard of the Army of Souls.”

“It led to the last apocalyptic age that predated my predecessor here.  It was not a good time, Rhyn.  I’m hoping I can calm the waters down.”

“If anyone can, you can, Gabe.” Rhyn studied him a moment longer.

“I’m fine, Rhyn,” Gabe said. “Really.”

 “Come by when you need someone to kick your ass.”

“I will.  Rhyn, thank you.”

The half-demon shook his head, turned and strode away, disappearing into a portal.  Gabriel watched him, envious and proud of his friend.  He’d always had faith in Rhyn.  Gabe’s faith had cost him everything, but it was worth it.  If only he could find peace as well.

He moved away from the Lake.  He had a long journey ahead of him, one he didn’t relish taking.  But, if he was to be the honorable Death that mortals and Immortals alike deserved, he had to do it. 

Gabe’s thoughts went to his predecessor once again.  He couldn’t help wondering what happened to her.  He’d expected her abandonment of the underworld would grant him some sort of peace or reprieve.  However, after thousands of years with the vexing deity, he found himself lonely instead.

He replaced the necklace around his neck and strode back to the fortress, his new home for eternity.