Chapter Two

Katie followed her instincts through the dreamscape until she climbed the last rocks and saw Rhyn curled in a ball just on the other side of a small ridge on the Sanctuary.  Her heart leapt, and she hurried to him.  In her last dream, he’d been there one moment then disappeared, just when she reached out for him.  She couldn’t help wondering if these dreams were more than dreams.  This wouldn’t be the first time she lived out reality in a dream.

“Rhyn? What’s wrong?” she asked, pausing near him.

His teeth were grinding loudly enough for her to hear, and his face was ashen and drawn in a look of pain.  He couldn’t answer – that much she discerned at the rippling muscles of his clenched jaw.

She knelt beside him and touched his arm tentatively, waiting for him to disappear again.

Instantly the grinding of his teeth stopped, and his ragged breathing began to slow.  He uncurled, and she withdrew her hand before he disappeared from the dream again.  Even so, she wasn’t able to shake the warmth of his magic flying up her arm and through her, reminding her of what it was like being near him when she was alive.  Even the skin of a half-demon was smooth and warm.  She used to resent the way his touch made her feel like she belonged to him, until she’d walked into the Caribbean knowing he might never touch her again.

”What … did you do?” he rasped.

“Thank God!” she exclaimed when he didn’t disappear. “What are you doing?  Did you do what Kris said?”

“Toby,” he managed.  “He went through the portal.”

“So that coward of a brother of yours sent a kid to face a bunch of demons?” she demanded. She wanted Kris dead in that moment, even if the arrogant Immortal was her sister’s husband.

“Toby went before we could stop him.”

“Oh,” she said. “Is he okay?”

“Trying not to blow him up. I can’t control it.”

Katie watched him stand with effort. The strain on his face was clear, and a tremor of fear crept through her.

“You can do it,” she said.

“I’ve never been able to.”

“Rhyn, you can. I know you can.  How else can you protect him and everyone else?”

He looked at her hard. She saw the resignation to his own death in his silver eyes.

“I didn’t drown myself so you could give up!” she snapped, growing upset.

“I’m not giving up. I can’t fucking control it!”

“You are the strongest person I know.  If anyone can do this, you can,” she told him. “And I forbid you from killing Toby!  He’s annoying and mouthy, but he’s just a boy.  Or an angel or something. I can’t imagine killing an angel is any better than killing a little boy.”

Rhyn said nothing. She watched him pace, his long, muscular legs drawing her eyes.  A familiar ache filled her, one that made her want to launch herself into his arms and never leave the dream world. It was better than traveling the underworld with Gabriel or fighting with Kris for an ounce of respect.

At the same time, she knew whatever Rhyn faced outside the dreamscape was as bad as what awaited her, if not worse. She didn’t know how either of them could make it back to each other, but they had to.

“Gabe says hi,” she whispered.

Rhyn met her gaze.  She never imagined him being defeated by anything, and she felt pain at the look on his face.