Chapter Fourteen

Death didn’t come.  Darkness fell, and Rhyn waited.  He paced and stretched, imagining there would be some kind of a struggle.  At long last, he forced himself to admit she wasn’t coming.  No one could’ve overlooked the blow he dealt her underworld.  The trees all around them had died off with a tear forming in the earth that led in the direction of the palace.

“How long are we staying here?” Kris asked at last. “Not that I don’t enjoy your company.”

Rhyn snorted in amusement. “The feeling is mutual.  You’re the reason I spent so much time in Hell.”

“You earned your place in Hell, Rhyn.”

Kris’s confident response rankled Rhyn.  He leaned his back against a tree and faced his eldest surviving brother. 

“I promised Kiki I’d tell you something,” he started. “But I don’t want to.  It won’t help you in your duties.”

“I do my best, but I’m as flawed as any Immortal.  I just hope our brothers see that I’m trying.”

“They see it.  And they know you’re wounded by this business with Jade and Andre.  Anyway,” Rhyn said. “That’s not what I promised to tell you.”

“What is it?”

“Lilith.”

Kris’s sigh of aggravation came out as a hiss.

“She was working for the Dark One,” Rhyn said.

“Let her serve out her eternity in peace, Rhyn.  I don’t appreciate you dishonoring her more than you did.”

“I swear it, Kris.  She was planted by the demons.  I don’t know why they chose you, but they did, and you’re the one she came after.  She reeked of demon, Kris. I’d be surprised if the hatchling she carried was yours.”

“Stop there, Rhyn. Whatever reason you have for talking about her this way – just stop.”

“Why would I lie about this now?” Rhyn challenged, irritated. “I served fucking lifetimes in Hell and kept my mouth closed.  I killed her to protect you.  Andre always taught me that loyalty was all that mattered.”

“You want me to believe you killed my lover to protect me, never told me she was a demon-spy, and you went willingly to Hell.  It’s ridiculous, Rhyn, even for you!”

Rhyn clamped his mouth shut.  He’d done what Kiki asked him to, and Kris didn’t believe him.  He was ready to go silent on it again for the rest of eternity.  He turned to leave then stopped.

“I saved your life twice, and you continue to treat me like shit,” he said. “You care more for the honor of a dead-dead woman who betrayed you.”

“While I’m grateful you saved me from Jade, you’re still half-animal, Rhyn.”

“I’m also half-Immortal.  I have as much of our father in me as you do,” Rhyn said.

“Look, Rhyn, none of this matters.  I’m willing to go ahead and forgive you for what you did so long ago.  It’s still hard for me to think I could’ve raised a successor and not buried a son,” Kris said.

“I don’t give a shit about your forgiveness, Kris.  Think about it.  What do I have to gain by telling you about Lilith now?”

“Maybe you just want to hit me while I’m down.”

“Down?” Rhyn echoed and looked at Kris. “If this is what you call down, you need to spend some time in Hell.  If you don’t believe me, I don’t give a shit.  But I fulfilled my part of the deal I made with Kiki.”