07 | Act My Age

22nd July 2009

"Can you pass me one of those bowls please Willa?" I place down the glass of water in my hand onto the blue lunch tray as I wait to be handed a bowl that I can pile high with fruit.

We managed to get to sleep earlier last night than the first, which apparently means that a full night's sleep makes a world of difference for Sophie's attitude. This morning, it was far easier for me and Willa to convince her to get out of bed so we can go and get an early breakfast.

"Here you go, Poppet." Will gives me a playful little nudge with her shoulder as she passes me one of the plastic bowls with a bright smile.

"What is it with all these nicknames, and when will they stop?" I can't resist giggling at this morning's choice of nickname. Poppet? Really? Honestly, I've lost count of the array of names and phrases she's referred to me by now. I didn't know there were so many variants of nicknames, nor that so many random words could be used as a nickname. I don't know where half of them come from, I mean, when I woke up this morning she called me Nugget. That was an odd one - perhaps she just really fancied a McDonalds.

We both began dishing vivid coloured fruits from the buffet in front of us, filling our bowls with as much as we could, the juices of kiwis, cherries and strawberries all mixing together. While I'm here, I make sure to grab a slice of lemon and drop it into my glass of water.

"I've already told you, the nicknames stop when we find the right one." She gives an indifferent shrug as she tops off both mine and her fruit bowls with a few slices of watermelon.

"And when will we find the right one?" We both finish adding the final touches before walking away from the display of fruits and on the hunt to find wherever Soph has managed to wander off to.

"I'm not too sure. But, I do have a good feeling about today." She gives me a knowing smile, like she's been made aware of something I haven't.

I roll my eyes, feeling this peculiar sensation in the pit of my stomach. The fact that only forty-eight hours ago, I had never even met Willa or Soph, is somehow so difficult for me to wrap my head around because it feels like there's not a single day in my life where they haven't been there. And it must sound stupid, because it is, isn't it?

Supposedly it's just something you have to experience. I remember Mum telling me how she experienced something just like this when she went to Uni. She was thrown together with five other flatmates, and you just become so close. So tight-knit so quick because you don't really have any other choice.

A TV show based on this would be quite funny, I think. The watching of just how fast everyone develops their bonds with one another. The only thing I've yet to experience, is the so called 'ugly-side' of the constant having to be around eachother. When you don't click right with the person you're stuck with, when every opinion clashes and passive under breath statements turn arguments.

Hopefully, me and the girls will never have that.

"Where the hell did Soph disappear to?" I wonder aloud as me and Willa both aimlessly stand in the middle of the canteen, scanning our eyes across each of the tables in search for the familiar face.

We stay frozen in place until something seems to click into place, and Willa whirls into life, a spring in her step. "There she is." With one hand still on her tray, the other freckled arm grabs my wrist, pulling me through the growing crowd as I do my best to not drop my own tray of food.

It takes me a while to clock onto Willa's train of thought, as I find myself just following her before my brain seems to even have an idea of its own. It takes me even longer to actually locate the smiley face, but when I do I notice her mouth is moving. Talking. Not to us. Talking to someone else.