06 | Up All Night

21st July 2009

"Morning sunshine, wondered where abouts you'd escaped to." Willa walks out onto the front stp of our little log cabin we're calling home for the next six months. She takes a seat right beside me on the small ledge, but I don't turn my head to greet her. Rather I keep my eyes on the trees that tower over to the right of us. It's barely visible, but I can just about see the light of the rising sun glimmering through the gaps between the leaves, the sky reflecting it's image onto a large body of water.

I must admit, it's a beautiful area. Very beautiful indeed.

"You okay then Nancy?" She smiles, nudging into me with all her body playfully. I smile in return with a small nod as I fiddle with the hem of my pyjama top. Gently, she leans her head on my shoulder and I suck in a sharp breath.

"I'm good. Happy." I verbalize my answer, turning my head slightly toward her, which results in her moving her head from my shoulder so she can look into my eyes.

I don't know an awful lot about Willa, at least not compared to what I now know about Sophie. After all, me and Soph did spend most of the night awake and giggling over absolute nonsense - the fact it was so unfunny, made it all the funnier to us.

She had climbed into my bed after asking if I was still awake, and then proceeded to show me what she claimed to be an impression of popcorn kernels popping. It undoubtedly sounded a lot more like a dying frog, and when I told her the honest truth - crushing her dreams - we just couldn't stop giggling. And the gigging became cackling once she had rolled over and out of my bed. Our screaming laughter and gasps for breaths awoke Willa (who, might I add, was not impressed) who proceeded to scold us like she was our mother, which was quickly followed up with a chant of apologies from me and Sophie.

When she got back into my bed, and we had finally calmed down, we began talking about our lives back home. She asked if I had a boyfriend, in which I brushed the question off quickly with the simple answer of 'no', before turning the question around on her. And soon found out she had a girlfriend called Piper. It turns out they've been together for about eight months which blew me away, because even though I'm not opposed to long term relationships at our age, I just don't personally know anyone who has been in one for longer than a few months. So to me, eight months is a long time, especially considering our ages.

I just assume that's because girls mature faster than boys, though I wouldn't say Soph is particularly mature.

So although Will didn't join us by staying up all night, I gathered from the conversations we had over dinner that she's a very gentle character.

What I do know is Sophie is already 15 like me, but Willa won't be 15 for a couple more weeks, August some time, so she'll be spending her birthday here with us. Willa is an only child, and here for her talent within the dramatic arts. Or in other words, acting. Something tells me she'd be undeniably good at it.

Sophie isn't an only child, and somehow, when she told me that, it didn't come as a surprise. She's one of four, and apparently this summer is her escape from 'the epitome of hell' I believe she described. Now what did come as a shock is the fact she's here for her talents on the violin.

Something so elegant and calming coming from a girl who is unorganised and manic. They just don't add up. But I do like her, a lot more than I ever anticipated. I like them both a lot, there's something about them both that's so bubbly and fun and kind and, well, likeable.

"Then why are you awake so early poppet, it's twenty past seven? In the morning." She adds with wide eyes and over emphasised words as if that wasn't already obvious.