12. New Beginnings

I didn't watch as Dawn ripped out Shelly's heart. I didn't watch as she transformed into her human self. Instead I laid on the couch and closed my eyes and covered my ears, so I couldn't hear Shelly's screams.

***

I opened my eyes and yawned. The sun shined behind the curtains, peeking in from the edges, lightening up the room. I had slept through the night. I was still lying on the couch holding Mason's ragged shirt to my neck. It was completely soaked in dried blood, but at least my neck wasn't bleeding anymore.

There was no damage to the house. It was like last night never happened. There were no blood stains on the carpet. The chair wasn't in the middle of the room, and there weren't any tools or weapons on the floor.

Mason and his brothers' were piled on the floor. Chase was using Michel as a pillow, and Scott's arm was draped over Mason's torso. The only one that wasn't tangle amongst them was Shane. He laid nearest to the couch, and there was a small pool of drool on his chin.

I opened the camera app on my phone and snapped a picture of them. I never wanted to forget this moment. It marked the day that our lives changed for the better. My friend was no longer immortal, and we were all alive. Plus, now I could embarrass the guys later, and it was the perfect addition to my scrapbook.

Beside me laid a girl with curly brown hair, a freckled nose and tanned skin—it was darker than it had ever been before. She was the real reason all this happened. She was like my guardian angel in disguise. I smiled and hugged her tight.

"Happy birthday, Avril," I whispered.

***

"Well, Miss Summers." Mason kissed my hand.

"We have our happy ending." Dawn held my other hand. Ever since she woke up this morning, she hasn't let me out of her sight. When I asked why, she said it was because she never wanted to lose me again. She remembered what happened last night but said it was like watching a movie through someone else's eyes. She couldn't believe she'd held a knife to my throat nor that she'd sliced into it. She apologized over and over and said she never wanted us to be apart ever again.

I opened the door and stepped outside. The sun shined brightly above us. Today would have been a beautiful day if I didn't have a million things going on in my mind.

"No. It's not over guys. Not really."

I rubbed my hand over the scabs on my hand, trying to relieve the itch without tearing the scab off. I'd had enough of seeing blood for a while.

"Who knows how many friends Shelly made in her time here?" I looked at each of my friends. "This is only the beginning."

***

The room was dark and was made of metal. The walls were cold and damp. A man dressed in black was sitting in a chair at the head of the room. Farther back a group of men, women and children sat on their knees. They wore the same attire; black pants, black shirts, and black shoes—ceremonial colors.

The leader spoke. "People, outcasts, it seems that one of our sisters has become human." He glanced around the room. "One of our sisters is now deceased, as well." He cocked his head to one side. "It is very strange. The young girl rejected the change and killed the other as a martyr."

"Master, that is unusual," a woman said.

A five-year-old boy raised his hand. "That's not supposed to happen."

"I agree McKenna, Zius. That is why we must eliminate the girl and her friends."

"But sire," another male outcast said, "are you forgetting that five of her friends are Lucifer's children? Whom cannot die until their time on earth is complete by old age?"

"Ah, I do remember. That is a point needed to be made. Thank you, Dallas. Now the planning procedures will officially begin."

His eyes turned blood red and the rest followed suit. They were ready for the challenge that awaited them...

________________________________________________________________________________

This is the end of PART 1

How do you like The Raven so far?

Please comment and tell me your opinions, and don't forget to vote!

--XOXO--