"Last night was great." Derek murmured as they laid in bed in the morning. "Yeah it was. Just what we needed." Meredith responded, putting her head on his chest.

It had been 6 months since Bailey was born, and the two parents decided it was time for a night out. So, the night before, they sent the kids to Callies for the night.

"We have to go to work soon. Callie probably already took the kids to daycare." Derek said as he rubbed her back soothingly.

"I know. I want to see my baby boy and little girl." Meredith replied as she sat up, covering her naked upper body.

"You're beautiful." Derek said with a McDreamy grin as she got out of bed, completely naked. Meredith blushed. "I'm literally scarred on my whole abdomen." She snorted.

"You could be scarred on your whole body and Id still think you'd be the most gorgeous woman in the world." Derek said honestly.

"I love you." Meredith replied before slipping into the bathroom.

•••

The two of them got ready and met downstairs. "Ready to go?" Derek asked as he walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Yeah." She replied, kissing him swiftly and walking out the door, him right on her heels.

The two began their drive and Derek put on his favorite band, the clash. "It's so weird when we don't have kids. When did we become the couple that find the quietness weird?" Meredith asked with a giggle.

Derek pulled up at an intersection and looked over at her. "Just wait until they both go to college. We'll be bored." He said.

"More time for me to take advantage of you." Meredith shrugged as the light turned green. Derek chuckled and went to drive straight.

That was, until a car came flying from the other side, hitting Merediths side head on.

•••

"Bailey! Where the hell are Grey and Shepherd?" Dr Richard Webber boomed as he walked over to the short woman. "No idea. Grey was supposed to be hour an hour ago." Bailey replied with a frown.

"Hey, any of you know where Meredith and Derek are?" Callie asked as she came up to them. "No." Richard replied. "I dropped the kids at daycare, I figured they want to say hi." Callie said.

"We haven't seen them. Why do you have their kids?" Bailey asked curiously. "They needed a night alone." Callie responded with a wink.

"Let me know if you see them." Richard said before walking away.

•••

Derek was the first to come around and immediately looked around. He was in the middle of the intersection, smoke in the air, and the other car crushed.

Derek took a second to examine himself. He hit his head on the window, so probably a concussion, and his left arm slammed into the door, so probably a sprain or a break. Other than that he felt okay.

Then he turned to his wife.

Her body was slumped over towards him, and she was clearly unconscious. For a moment, Derek thought she was dead. Her head was bleeding, and her right leg and arm looked completely crushed.

"Mer..." Derek said in a panic as he reached over. He sighed in relief as he felt her pulse. It was faint, but it was there and that was enough right now.

"Oh my god!" A bystander yelled as he rushed over to the accident. "Are you okay? I'm gonna call 911 right now." He said.

"My wife...she's unconscious. I...we need an ambulance." Derek said. "Mer, wake up. Please," Derek pleaded as he shook her gently.

Derek got out of the car with a wince and went over to her side. Their car was literally dented in from where the other car hit them.

"Come on, Mer." Derek whispered to himself. He was panicking. His wife could be dying, and he couldn't do anything about it.

Derek tried to open the door with all his strength, but it was stuck. "Shit shit shit!" He yelled, going back to his side as a few ambulances arrived.

"Sir, you need to go get checked out." A paramedic, Jordan, said. "My wife, she's in there. You...the door is stuck. She's unconscious and her right side is crushed. You need to check her pupils." Derek said.

Jordan nodded. "I will. Please, go get checked out." Jordan replied. "No, I'm-im a neurosurgeon. She's a general surgeon. I can help." Derek said firmly.

"Get checked out first and we'll see." Jordan said, dismissing him as he and his fellow paramedics went to help Meredith.

"Call the fire department. We need tools to open this door." Jordan said to his co worker.

Derek came back quickly after getting checked out, he was fine, just a small concussion and a probable broken arm.

"What's going on?" Derek asked as numerous fire trucks and police cars pulled up. "We need some power tools. We're gonna get her out." Jordan said.

Another paramedic, Kelsey, climbed in to the drivers seat to check on Meredith. "Ma'am? Can you hear me?" She asked, grabbing her penlight.

"Right pupil is blown." Kelsey announced. Derek ran his hand through his hair as Kelsey came out. "Pulse is thready, but it's steady for now." She yelled.

The firefighters set up the tool to pull the door off and Derek watched in fear as the door was pulled off and paramedics quickly attended to Meredith.

"Get a gurney ready! And call Grey Sloan, tell them we have a car trauma on the way and they'll need ortho and neuro and probably general." Someone said.

Derek quickly got in the mix near Meredith as they extracted her out of the car and on to the gurney. "I'm here, Mer." Derek said softly as he looked at her broken body, that now had an oxygen mask over her mouth.

Once she was in the ambulance, they raced to the hospital. At one point, Merediths heart rate dropped drastically. "Starting CPR." Jordan announced as he pushed  down on her chest.

They got her back, thankfully, but Meredith was barely holding on by a thread.

•••

"I don't know where the hell grey and Shepherd are, but we have a trauma on the way so they better get their asses here." Bailey said as she gowned herself.

Dr Nelson was paged down in dereks absence, and Callie and bailey were all waiting down in the trauma bay. They were told it was bad and they would need all hands on deck.

"Okay, they're here." Richard announced as they ran out to meet the ambulance.

"Female, 40, t-boned at an intersection, trauma to the head, whole right side, and abdomen-" the paramedic started.

"It's Meredith." Derek said as he stepped out of the ambulance.

Hey guys!!! So new story, I'm excited to write this one. I hope you guys all enjoyed and feel free to drop any ideas if you have them. Thanks for reading!!