Chapter 3 Doubts

What happens next is a very loud whistling noise that wakes you up. Your ears perk up. You can hear faint crying and whispering coming from outside.

("Rose h...help me. W...where are you?")

You hear your brothers voice from somewhere outside. It's distorted, but you know it's his voice. Surprisingly, Jeff is still asleep holding you tightly in his arms.

("Rose p...please h...help m...me.")

You hear the voice again. It sounds even more desperate this time. You struggle against Jeff's grip, waking him up in the process.

"What, what is it?"
"I heard something." You whisper frantically still hearing the voice of your brother in your head

"What did you hear?" He asks groggily.
"My brother, he needs me!"

Without another word you yank yourself away from Jeff. Jumping out of bed you run downstairs. It's 3 AM and there's a raging snowstorm outside. You try to open the front door, but it's locked. With you still hearing the disembodied voice of your brother in your head, you begin pounding on the door. Suddenly, Jeff grabs you from behind.

"What the hell are you doing? That's not your brother out there." He exclaims, throwing you to the floor.

"Yes it is Jeff. He needs me!"
"No it's not. That's a Windigo." He says throwing you up against the wall.

You hit hard and slide down to a sitting position.

"What's a windigo?"
"They're evil spirits that consume humans and leave their skin behind. Don't you remember anything? Even before we moved into this cabin I told you about all the spirits haunting these woods."
"Oh, I forgot. How can you tell it's a Windigo? It sounds so much like my brother."
"Just trust me ok? I would never lie to you, would I?"
"No, but..."
("Rooosse.")

Your head aches from both the hit against the wall and the Windigo's voice penetrating through your ears. You stick your fingers in your ears trying to block it out. You rock back-and-forth repeating the words la la la over and over.

"Come on Rose, let's go back to bed. Everything will be ok. I'll think of a new plan."

Jeff tries to pick you up, but you push and kick him away.

"I can't hear you!" You shout,  tears rolling down your cheeks.

"Rose please, let's go back to sleep. Come on, baby...?"

Jeff trys grabbing you again, but you slap his hand away. Ben, who is sleeping on the couch, wakes up because of all the yelling.

"What the fuck is going on?" He mumbles, sitting up.

Then EJ, Toby, and Sally walk down the stairs. They look at you and Jeff with concerne.

"W...what's with a...all the s...screaming?"
"Windigo." Jeff Sighs, pointing at you.

Ben is now blocking the locked door, and you are trying to push him out of the way, but he won't budge.

"Rose we're not gonna let you go outside. It's way below zero and the Windigo is going to kill you." Ben yells over the howling winds.

Ignoring Ben, you grab a half drank water bottle off the table next to the couch.
Ben sees the bottle in your hands. He is frozen in fear. Without giving him the chance to move, you open the bottle and dump the contents onto him. He lets out a terrible screech, dropping to the floor. You push him out of the way with your foot. With trembling fingers you unlock the door and yank it open.

"Rose no!" You here Jeff and the others scream.

Not looking back you jump outside. Unfortunately, the snow is knee deep and you sink into it instantly. You try to walk, but you can't get very far. Ben was right, it is below zero. Your tears are freezing as they drip down your face. You are shivering uncontrollably and once again your fingers and toes are completely numb. You don't care. You have to get the pages. Jeff promised to keep you and your brother safe. Destroying Slender is the only way to keep that promise. The pages must be in the woods. I have to find them. I'm not going to let my little brother die just because a Windigo is trying to kill me. You move slowly through the deep snow. Despite how cold it is, you are determined. One day. One day left. This is it. My only chance to get all the pages and destroy them. No one can stop me. You didn't realize it, but you had collapsed in the snow. Your eyes are closed and your arms and legs are trying to pull you forward uselessly. As soon as he saw you collapse, Jeff was outside and lifting you up out of the snow. Bringing you back inside he lays you're freezing motionless body on the couch.