Chapter 8

Sarah's pov

I'm currently in Cameron's pack infirmary sitting on a bed and the doctor is examining my front left leg.

We were walking down the stairs to get to the kitchen when I fell down the stairs.... again. I wound up landing hard on my left side and my leg got caught underneath me. I let out a loud yelp and let me tell you it hurt a lot but not as much as some of the beatings I've taken from my old pack. Cameron quickly ran to me and then picked me up and brought me to the doctor.

Turns out I sprained my leg and ankle. I also bruised a rib or two from the impact of me and the floor. Lucky me! The doctor, I think her name was Sheila, said my leg should heal in a few days and my ribs in about one.
"Please don't fall down anymore stairs?" pleaded Cam. I looked at him with a wolfy grin and wagged my tail. He laughed a little and said "C'mon, let's get you something to eat now. Sheila said you are wayyy under weight and you are really weak. In fact, you probably wouldn't have been injured if your bones weren't so weak."

I whined and put my head down on my paws. It wasn't my fault I was like this. He probably doesn't even want a weak, bony, filthy rogue as a mate. He could obviously find someone way better than me without a struggle. I guess I'll just have to prepare my self for rejection. No! I can tell he already loves us! He won't reject us, I know it. My wolf retorted. I think we should shift back so that he can see you as a human and not just a wolf. I sighed because I knew she was right. He couldn't decide if he really wanted me or not if I was in wolf form all the time.

I felt a hand land softly on my head and by the tingles, I knew it was him. I looked up at Cameron and into his eyes. They looked sad and that made me sad too. I began to stand up on the bed so I could jump down but then I remembered my leg. Curse my clumsiness!! Cam noticed my struggle and quickly lifted me into his arms.
"There's no way I'm letting you walk while you're in this state. I'm just gonna have to carry you now." he smirked and I sighed. He was just too damn cute. Ugh! What am I thinking!? I reached my head to his hand and licked it, to say thank you. He laughed and then carried me through the house and back to the kitchen.

When he put me down, I was already craving his touch again. This mate bond thing was gonna kill me. Cam began to search through the fridge when he asked me what I wanted to eat. I began to think but realized that I had no clue. I hobbled over to the fridge and jumped up to get a better view. My leg slightly got in the way but I was fine.

I spotted a raw steak sitting in the fridge and began trying to snatch it. The only problem was that it was just out of my reach. I barked at Cameron so he would notice what I was grabbing at. He laughed at me when he saw what I was up to and grabbed the steak.

"Would you like this cooked or should I just leave this raw for you?" He asked still laughing a bit. I looked at him and then jumped up and grabbed the steak from his hands. Using my good paw and my teeth, I easily got the package off of the steak and began eating it before Cameron had the chance to react. "Well I guess raw it is..." He mumbled.

As I finished the last few bites of steak, a few people, rather noisily might I add, walked into the kitchen. Startled by this, I quickly got up off the floor and darted behind Cameron.

"Woah, woah, woah guys!" Cameron began to yell. I flinched at the sound.
The three people quieted down and gave Cameron a questioning look. That is, until they saw me poking my head out from behind his legs.

"Cam," the girl of the group started. "Who is she?" She asked in such a gentle tone that made me like her almost instantly.

"She's my mate, Claire." Cameron replied. The girl, Claire, walked closer to us but I shrunk back behind my mate's legs again. She stopped a few feet away and kneeled down. I looked at her again and she opened her arms, beckoning me to her. I don't know what it is but I felt as if I could trust her. I took a hesitant step towards her but stopped. I looked up at Cameron and he smiled. His smile reassured me and I walked over to Claire, into her open arms. She ran her hands through my fur and then looked at Cameron.

"She's beautiful!" Claire sighed.

One of the boys that Claire had come in with stepped into the scene and said "But she's so small, only about the size of a German Shepard or something."

The other boy stepped in and added "And look at her, she's all skin and bones. And why is she in wolf form?"

I stepped away from the three and practically ran back to Cameron. I hid behind his legs again and let out a small whine. I knew I wouldn't be accepted here. No one will ever accept me. I laid down and whimpered.

Cameron's pov
As I carried my little mate to the kitchen, I could only think about he in her human form. What would she look like? How would she act? We reached the kitchen and I put her down so that I could find her something to eat. She found a steak and grabbed it from my hand.

As she was finishing her meal, my sister, Claire, her mate and my Beta, Dan, and my third in command, Garrett, all walked into the kitchen. My mate ran to me and hid. I smiled slightly, knowing that this meant she trusted me at least a little bit. I quickly quieted the three down so that they would stop spooking my mate. Claire knelt down and beckoned the little wolf to her. She was hesitant but after reassurance from me, she made her way to Claire.

When Dan and Garrett started asking questions and making comments, my little wolf sulked back to me and laid down behind me. She whimpered a little and it broke my heart. "Guys, I don't have any answers to any of your questions. She hasn't shifted since I found her. Dan, you were there so you should know. I don't want to force her but I really want her to shift. Only then can we get some answers. I don't even know her name."

Claire walked over to me and gave me a hug. "It'll be alright. Maybe she just needs time to adjust."

I really hoped she was right.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

How was that!? Sorry I take so long to update but I promise that I try to update whenever I can. If anyone has any input or comments, let me know! I could always use a little help. Thank you guys so much for all your support and votes! Don't forget to vote, read, comment, share and follow!