20

The precinct was disgusted and disheartened when their Head Auror informed them of the situation involving their coworkers Ronan Decker and Julie Hickman. They kept quiet about it in angered shock. The Browning Boys case collecting dust in their minds as they attempted to busy themselves with something that wouldn't be hard to think about.

Vil volunteered to put up the "WANTED" posters around Diagon Alley, Hogsmead, the Ministry, and any other place where their faces could be shown. She even volunteered to post them in Knockturn Alley, as timid and reserved as she is, she refused to allow someone else to do it as Harry had suggested. Personally, she didn't know much about either of them, but as an admirer of Hermione Granger and as a muggleborn herself, their betrayal made it personal. Of course, having never been seen as a menace to society, the photographs printed on the posters were of them smiling. Dazzlingly charming smiles and bright innocent eyes, you wouldn't think there was a malicious bone in their bodies. At least not Hickman's. Ronan was always rough around the edges, but that was, what the people assumed to be, a result of vigorous and frequent Auror training.

Vil didn't talk to Julie. She fancied her from afar; she was stunningly beautiful after all. A single mother of three beautiful children, she was a woman that Vil always had respect for. She would talk to Hermione sometimes about her. At one point the shy girl thought she was in love with the blonde haired mother, but thinking back on this now, she was disgusted. Disgusted with herself for not seeing through the meaningless facade. Disgusted with Julie for obvious reasons; a muggleborn hater, a muggleborn killer. So when Harry suggested he go to Knockturn Alley instead, she felt a duty to herself to put her diffidence behind her.

Hermione hadn't returned home. She slept in her office during the day in case her husband came knocking and she worked in her office during the night when no one would bother her. Harry kept his meeting with Malfoy secret as well as his years of memories of Draco's forbidden feelings. He would confront Ron about his alleged behavior unbeknownst to his best friend. Draco would stay in his flat, drinking away the memory of her cold, empty eyes looking at him.

He played that moment, or those moments per se, in his head.

Him yelling, her shaking.

Him yelling, her crying.

Him yelling.

Him yelling.

Him yelling.

I shouldn't have yelled, he thought.

I'm sorry I yelled, I love you he should've said. He could only imagine what Harry would do with what he told him. The only thing Draco could do now was wait for Hermione, Harry, Ron, anyone to come talk to him. That and drink.

Harry took Hermione off the Browning Boys case for obvious reasons, but it pissed her off beyond compare. I'm fine, look at me, not a scratch she'd tell Harry. They need to be found, Harry, who would be more motivated than me? she'd tell him. Damn it, Harry, I'll do it my bloody self if you won't let me. You aren't going to stop me.

But he did stop her. After everything, her years of training, her success rate, everything, Harry was forced to rid of her case file clearance for anything more than petty theft. Still it didn't stop her from working in her mind with what she remembered. The strikingly clever witch she was, she extracted her memories via pensieve just to revisit the case files word for word; and since she worked from dusk to dawn, no one was there to object or tell. As expected, Ronald Weasley did come knocking for the first couple of days. She's my wife, he would say. I have a right to her.

If Draco were to hear those words slip out of his mouth, a reckoning would come. Despite her neglect, she didn't blame Draco for what he had done. Contrary to what he believed, she heard his speech about patronus' and happiness and was about to let him know that she forgave him before Julie barreled into the room demanding the vials.