Self-conscious

The sun was merciless today and the birds were up and chirping. Shinju made her way up the mountain, following the newly made trail that lead to the mine as instructed by her superiors. She followed the carriage wheel tracks until she came across a vast dusty area. Wardens circled every inch of the place. Long wooden gates were put up with seals placed onto them to keep the prisoners from escaping during their limited chance at seeing the sun.

However there was one thing on her mind while coming here. Was he here? The so-called traitor? How is he adapting to this outcome? It has been so long since she saw or heard anything about her equal. Would he remember her?

She shook her self out of these thoughts as a warden approached looking at her headband. "Shinju?"

She bowed and nodded "Yes. I was sent here by Saito sama today. I'll be helping around for the week if that is no trouble with you"

He nodded "Sure you can help us watch the prisoners. So far there had been three attempts of escape but no one went far enough. So keep your eyes wide open"

After explaining to her the situation and  how the patrols happened, she headed into the mine to start her first shift. She eyed the tired sweating men as they slaved off. Keeping a stern face, she studied their work patterns and behaviours. The wardens refused to have them talk or complain as that would result in petty scuffles. They were allowed a 30 minute lunch break and a limited amount of water per shift. It seemed cruel to her but these people were criminals.

Hours into the day she wandered deeper and deeper into the mine until she froze in place.

There he was.

Kakuzu was tearing down the walls with his bare hands unlike the rest. They had a darkened pigment to them and she knew exactly what that was. He could use the iron skin jutsu so effortlessly, as he dug his hands into the cave walls ripping out whatever he could salvage; doing exactly as the wardens instructed. Sweat dripped from his chin and he looked worn out but stood stern showing her what an elite shinobi's endurance looked like.

He stopped and turned, feeling her attention on him and shot her a glance with his stern eyes that made her throat tighten painfully.

"OI! Rat! did I tell you to stop! Get yer ass back to work" a warden spat, tugging at the chains on Kakuzu's neck.

Then something in him snapped and he punched the warden in the face, out of sheer rage.

He beared their insults for days but what was different now? Was it because he had a spectator this time. He cringed at the mere thought of being humiliated in front of an outsider. He could feel her eyes watching and judging him and it mad him so self conscious and furious.

She gasped at his action but before she could react, the number of wardens double and they piled up beating the day lights out of him. They kicked him down to the ground mercilessly yelling at him for disobeying orders. Some even spat in his face.

Shinju grit her teeth. She wanted to help him but would he feel insulted if she defended him like last time?

She bit her lip and charged landing between them.

"Fūton: Tatsumaki Toku!"

A tornado like shield  formed around her and the helpless man, pushing away all the wardens instantly.

One of the wardens frowned getting up from the floor "Don't defend the traitor!!"

"Rule number 304, page 25. Wardens are not allowed to physically abuse an inmate during manual labour. You all could get dismissed for this act" She stated.

They frowned knowing they couldn't fight with the Kage's new favorited guests and retreated back to their positions.

Kakuzu coughed in pain, holding on to his stomach and she quickly knelt down on the ground next to him to see if he was okay.

"Back off stranger" he snarled as her hand landed on his shoulder.

She frowned and gripped him from his shirt helping him sit up against the wall "drop your pride act. You got none left!" She spat out angrily.

He seemed to quiet down and look away from her, hiding his bruised and bloody face in shame. Shinju took out her first aid kit and placed her fingers under his chin to force him to look at her so she could clean up his face. She noticed some old cuts and bruises decorating his skin and felt bad for him.
The wardens were mistreating him mercilessly and his anger will just keep growing.

The two sat in silence as she patched up what she could. He slightly relaxed under her touch.  She was the first person to show him kindness after the return....after Hashirama.

He could recall the man's words clearly. After a battle that dragged on for hours, his chakra levels dropped and he was rendered useless to Hashirama's attack. He closed his eyes preparing himself for his inevitable death until the god held back and stood near Kakuzu's weakened and battered body.

"This isn't your battle kid

"This isn't your battle kid...I am not a goal you should be aiming for" Hashirama spoke sternly and left. The tanned boy laid there on the ground looking up at the raining sky letting Hashirama's words sink in his skull.

"Did you have a concussion or something? I'm talking to you" Shinju demanded snapping him out of his daze.

He looked up at her clueless then she sighed and spoke "your lunch break is starting. Don't you want to go eat?"

He wordlessly got up, using the wall as support then left the cave with her behind.

Why were outsiders being so kind to him lately?