A Vulnerable Arnav

Forgiveness does not mean ignoring what has been done or putting a false label on an evil act. Forgiveness is a catalyst creating the atmosphere necessary for a fresh start and a new beginning.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

This quote aptly describes Khushi's attitude towards those who have wronged her and she has led her life by this philosophy. But now her love, her husband is challenging her belief system. He's not asking her to change it, rather modify it, in the light of current events and she doesn't know which path to follow.

The flashbacks till now have taken us through Arnav's perception of the events; with the previous chapter giving some insight into Khushi's point of view as well. This chapter will delve further into Khushi's psyche, during her argument with the Raizadas & Guptas and post that, when she wanted to discuss the contract with Arnav.

Flashbacks continue

(This chapter takes place the morning after the showdown but before ArShi assemble in the Shantivan drawing room with their bags.)

Arnav woke up at the crack of dawn and looked around his room. He was surely going to miss this place. This was the first property he had bought after he established himself as The ASR. He had countless memories here - would he be able to completely block those out and leave another place he called home?

He recalled the times Nani told him his mother's childhood stories while he watered the plants and also the evenings, when he sat in the garden listening to business advice doled out by Mama. Thinking about some of Mami's harmless antics made him smile. Aakash's star-struck look every time he fixed an unsolvable problem brought a smirk to his face. Some of his best memories in this house were with Di and Khushi and unfortunately some of his most bitter ones too. This immediately brought him to the end of the nostalgia lane and he got down to business.

After getting dressed and giving the required instructions to Aman, he called Mr. Roy to get the second set of papers notarised and have them delivered by 11 am. That would coincide well with the time of their departure. He could've rushed the procedure using his influence but why bother? He knew today's drama session was still left - after all no one would just let him just walk out the door. Not even his wife. With that thought, he woke up Khushi with a heavy heart. This was a discussion he was not looking forward to having with his innocent, sensitive, selfless, pregnant wife.

Arnav: Good morning sweetheart. Rise and shine.

Khushi: Good morning Arnavji. When did you wake up? You are back from your jog and dressed for office already? Why didn't you wake me up? Do you want coffee or breakfast? Are you ...

Arnav (interrupting the Lucknowi Express): Khushi, breathe. I'm not going to work. We are leaving for Mumbai today. Please freshen up and pack your valuables. I'll ask Hari Prakash to take care of the rest. We don't need to carry much. Aman will be joining us soon and will bring over anything important that is left behind. All other arrangements have already been made in our new house.

The incidents of the previous evening came flooding back to her. It hadn't been a nightmare like she had hoped; it was very much real. She recalled what has transpired post Arnav's roar - he had interrupted the discussion and broken the clause of 'no interference'. In the heat of the moment, Khushi had felt victorious. She thought she had not only won a challenge against Arnavji (which was rare), but had also been close to fulfilling her dream of a happy family for her child.

She truly believed that faced with the reality of her actions, Anjali would realize the error of her ways and make the right choice. This discussion would also have been a wake-up call to the other members of the house. She had already witnessed remorse in Nani's and Aakashji's eyes. She believed in second chances and this was family after all. With Arnavji's help in setting things right, all would be well soon.