A Choice Given

Khushi: Then why don't you give your child to Anjaliji? You are due in just three months and this way Anjaliji will be out of depression sooner. Why prolong her suffering for an extra 3 months? No one here would want that.

Payal froze. It felt like the cat got her tongue. She turned towards Buaji who quickly tried to salvage the situation.

Madhumati: Khushi, why are you dragging Payalia into this. Anjali wants her brother's baby so she asked you. It's a simple matter and you are complicating it unnecessarily.

Khushi: I'm also saying the same thing. Anjaliji wants her brother's baby and Aakashji is her brother. She wants a Raizada baby and this baby will be a Raizada. We all witnessed how much Anjaliji means to Aakashji and they definitely share a close bond. I'm sure Anjaliji doesn't discriminate between her brothers and will feel the same motherly love for both of their kids. Seeing how Aakashji is ready to do anything for her and Payalji too agrees with him, this seems the perfect solution. Madhumatiji you should be relieved that atleast your Payalia is making her family proud. Why are you taking this opportunity away from her?

Madhumati was sweating profusely with this turn of events. On the other hand, Manorama was fuming. She knew how much Aakash was looking forward to being a father. How could Khushi suggest depriving him of this joy?

Manorama: Point is not what Anjali betiyan feels about Aakash bitwa or Arnav bitwa. She loves them both a lot but has raised her Chote as her first child and thus feels a special connection towards his offspring. And just like she has been such a wonderful second mother to Arnav, she will shower this baby with love. I don't understand what is the problem.

Listening to Mami's words, Khushi got a sudden brainwave and knew exactly how to end the matter.

Khushi: Hello hi bye bye. You are right. I will give Anjaliji the baby...

The "family" members began rejoicing and Khushi had to almost scream the continuation of her sentence

Khushi: But Anjalji will no longer be Arnavji's Di and he will no longer be her Chote.

There was pin-drop silence. The occupants couldn't believe what they had heard. Even NK was shocked with the curveball Khushi threw but knew there must be something cooking in her head. And Arnav? He was just glaring at her as he had been from the time the conversation started. Nani was the first one to overcome the shock and proceeded with rage towards Khushi.

Nani: What kind of an immature joke is this? Don't you know how much Chote means to Anjali betiyan? Manorama just mentioned that Anjali considers him her first son - how can you even think of separating a mother from her child?

Khushi: I'm immature but all the people present here are sensible I assume. Then where did this wisdom vanish when you all were asking, no no no, demanding me to hand over my baby to Anjaliji?

While some began to realize their folly, some were still under the misconception that Khushi was wrong but couldn't come up with anything to counter her argument. Among that lot was the one who had started all this drama. Seeing no one fighting her battle for her, Anjali stopped sobbing for the time being and tried her luck again with Khushi.

Anjali: You are comparing apples and oranges. Chote and I have braved a bitter past together. Through thick and thin we've always been each other's support. How can you equate that with nurturing a baby in your womb for a mere few months? You couldn't have even developed a bond with the baby and you think it's the same as what Chote and I share.

Khushi: You are misunderstanding me. I'm not comparing the bonds but our situations. Despite having your family at your beck and call, and all of them going beyond imagination to make you happy, you still felt so lonely and depressed. You needed that one person who would be just yours and would never leave you. Similarly, there are chances that after I'm separated from my baby, I too suffer from mental issues. Your family will be busy looking after you and the new born and Payalji's family will be pampering her and her child. I will be left all alone. I also need someone to make me their priority. Considering how much importance Arnavji gives to you and your well-being, I need some guarantee that I will not be side-lined. That's why I proposed this deal. So, who do you choose? Your Chote or your Rajkumari?

Before Anjali could answer, Arnav spoke, rather he roared.

Arnav: KHUSHI!

Arnav didn't need to say anything more. Everyone present knew that now the only one saying or doing anything will be Arnav. Khushi looked at him with a challenge in her eyes but seeing the anger reflected in his; her confidence began to shake.

Khushi caressed her belly and regained her strength - she was not alone this time. She thought back to the contract that Arnav and she had signed. She knew her husband possessed a Harvard brain, which he seemed to use solely to plot against her, and would again find a way to make her agree to him. But she couldn't let him renege on the contract so easily - there was a lot at stake. She had won and he would have to surrender. However, at this moment she wondered what winning even meant? Even if he conceded to her demands, would she truly be happy?

Arnav too thought about the contract and currently he deeply regretted it. But at that time, he didn't have a choice. He was aware of what was in everyone's best interest but didn't know how to make his wife understand that. Hence, he had unwittingly struck a deal with Khushi.

However, a deal was a deal - or was it? He had already figured out a loophole to turn things in his favour. This thought transformed his irk into a smirk. But first things first - he needed to get her away from everyone, especially NK who seemed to always egg her on. Taking a deep breath, he addressed the occupants of Shantivan.

Arnav: I think this has gone on for long enough and both Payal and Khushi need to rest. Let's call it a night. I will sort everything out tomorrow.

The others wanted to protest and conclude the matter before Khushi found an escape. They were still thinking about how to approach Arnav when he dashed upstairs but not before glowering at Khushi who quickly followed.

Anjali was happy that her Chote will, as usual, set things right. Madhumati and Garima stayed back on Payal's insistence who was still reeling from the shock of almost losing the right over her baby. Manorama was happy that Aakash dodged the bullet. She was thankful that Mama wasn't around as she had a feeling that he would've supported that phati saree.

Nani was wondering if she had made a mistake and was about to discuss the same with Anjali. However, seeing her smile and discuss baby plans with Mami she dismissed the thought.

Aakash was faced with a conundrum. In the current situation, he didn't know how to pick his sister's happiness without snatching someone else's. He decided to leave the problem solving to his Bhai who as usual would take charge.

NK was seething with anger seeing everyone's reaction and wanted to give them all a piece of his mind but was bound by his word. He never felt so helpless. However, knowing that after tomorrow, Khushiji will be happy one way or another, he once again felt peaceful. He will always be there for her and her babies.

To be continued.

Which parent figure is more selfish - Garima (Amma), Madhumati (Buaji), Manorama (Mami) or Devyani (Nani)?

Isn't NK a sweetheart?